Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have 101xxx Mk VI alto and found that neck's reinforcement ferrule is missing on mouthpiece end. I'm thinking it probably has been there but maybe it fell off during decades but worst thoughts are that neck has been cut at some point.

Any thoughts, did Selmer put ferrules on necks on that time, early 1960's? I'm not able to compare to any other Mk VI neck but I would greatly appreciate if someone could measure length between octave key hole and end of the neck on some other longbow mk vi alto - so I could determine if it has been cut or not. If not, maybe I ask tech to solder ring there on next overhaul.

But, neck and horn plays fine so I'm not worried too much :)

Thanks!

View attachment 215696

(picture taken from web, not mine)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
Yes, it came with a reinforcing ferrule. I don't have a similar neck to measure, but the key here is really that it plays fine as-is. How did you determine the ferrule is gone - did you remove the neck cork or possibly a tech did and commented on it? The cork frequently is installed over the ferrule and you can't really see it. You can also examine closely the end of the neck to see if it bears tool marks from being cut and/or if it has roughness on the inner edge or perhaps is visibly on a slight angle. If it measures correctly and has no signs of being altered, you would be faced with the possibility that somebody removed the ferrule at some time for some unknown reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be seen on neck end that ferrule isn’t there and cork is little loose there and checked under cork, no ferrule. Neck end seems to be okay and no cutting marks.However, a small ding on end of the neck so ferrule could be gone when dropped. Cork is likely replaced at some point after. If removing cork maybe there is signs from solder (if they used to solder it?), that could mean length isn’t altered.

But you are right, it plays fine and not a big deal. Maybe I’ll ask tech to make reinforcing ring there same time when removing that ding.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
But you are right, it plays fine and not a big deal. Maybe I’ll ask tech to make reinforcing ring there same time when removing that ding.
Yes get a good tech to make it the way it should be.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely. I’ll do that. It plays but with that ferrule it can survive next decades better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts