Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’ve just brought a 64xxx MK VI alto, and it’s previous owner has set it’s key heights to roughly half what they are on my Reference 54 alto. Having owned a bunch of MK VI tenors, and played around with different set ups on them, I am convinced that I like the tone/response etc of keys set higher off the body. After play testing this alto, I feel it is definitely under-vented!

I’ve searched the forum (admittedly on an iPhone not a desktop) and I can only find suggestions for MK VI tenor key heights. Does anyone have either some measurements that work well for them on a MK VI alto, or some measurements they took from an untouched original VI? I’m going to have them set a lot higher than they are, and maybe this will require some experimentation, but if anyone has some numbers to use as a guideline that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
When setting alto key heights I set the RH F key height to Yamaha's recommended key height of 8.4mm for that key. All other key heights of the stack keys are determined automatically from that setting by regulation and the removal of lost motion. Regardless of the make, I find that is a good starting point. I play a 41,XXX SBA alto and those key heights work well for me on my alto.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts