Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for mixed duets with sax (or mixed groups with sax); some good stuff for small group contest. Last year I did Epitaphe de Jean Harlow (alto and flute) and it went over well, so I'm looking to try some more (not necessarily just flute).
In my efforts I've run across: (in case anybody else is looking) the Percussion Plus Project www.percussionplusproject.com/
and the Uwharrie clarinet/percussion duet (some are for sax as well and can be played on sop) www.uwsp.edu/music/people/faculty/arosen/uwharrie/uwharrie.htm
a sop and timpani duet from Larry Lockwood www.lockwoodmusic.com/
and a couple others. If anybody wants the link for Epitaphe I'd be happy to dig it up.
Wow. I just realized that those are all with percussion. Hmm. You see my problem. Any help is appreciated.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
I assume you know the Houston Person / Ron Carter collaboration -- several albums of just sax and bass, notably Dialogue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't, actually. Thanks, I'll look in to it. Anything else?

·
5,076 Posts
Oh, and I finally remembered: an older album (1967), The Lee Konitz Duets, on which he plays with a different musician (and a different instrument) on each tune. Should have been called "Lee Konitz Copies Willie Nelson" :D

What am I saying?:shock:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know where I can get the sheet music for any of these? So far I haven't been able to find it.

·
5,076 Posts
The heads, of course, are readily available. These particular versions: haven't a clue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reedsplinter said:
The heads, of course, are readily available. These particular versions: haven't a clue.
Sorry, but what do you mean by head?

I can't seem to find the sheets for these duets, so does anybody have more to suggest?

·
5,076 Posts
The head is the basic tune -- the melody. So, for the Houston Person/Ron Carter "Doxy," look up "Doxy" in The Real Book (or learn it off a Rollins cd! Or off the Person/Carter cd). I can't say whether anyone has actually transcribed any of these duets.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm. Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. I've found nothing in the way of music for the Lee Konitz duets, and I for this I'd better stay away from jazz anyway. But I'm thankful for the lead and am looking into getting the album, so thanks, Reedsplinter.

·
5,076 Posts
I would be shocked if there were any published transcriptions of any of this material. Somebody out there might have done it for personal use, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts