Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Beautiful recording and very nice playing Carlos. Good improvisation and beautiful sound. Love your Ben Webster inspired sub-tone down low in the register.

Some small things to (maybe and IMO) work on are the start of the notes. In some cases it takes some time before the notes speak. Not sure if that was/is your intention, but it seems the reed and/or mouthpiece tip opening are a bit too hard/big. In other cases the start of the notes with tonging sounded a bit too strong in this song.

Thanks for sharing and hope to hear more from you here on the forum (would be nice if you could join our TOTM threads). :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you my friend !! I'm very glad that you liked it! I think I'm in love with sub-tone.

Really, sometimes I wanted that windy sound at the beginning of the notes, but in others it was due to the time I spent without practicing. I'll work it.

I am grateful for the precious tips!! And I will strive to participate more in the forum. I'm dedicating myself to graduation and so I'm somewhat away from music..

Just a question: As I'm still learning English, what does "TOTM" mean?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
It is Tune Of The Month. Very beautiful playing. You are covering all of the bases: tone, intonation, style, and time/rhythm. I was put off just a bit by the sound of water on the back of the reed. I like the "airy" subtone but without the "sizzle" of the water. I am a "wet" player so I am very sensitive to this. What helps me is to polish the backs of my reeds by rubbing with the grain on a stiff paper on a perfectly flat surface. As you rub, eventually it will start to click. When this happens look at the back of the reed and it will be shiny. This helps the water to bead and just roll off the reed instead of just staying there. I also would have liked to hear some of the upper register showing the range of the tenor on this tune. Again, very nice playing. I hope to hear more from you on SOTW.

·
Administrator
17,300 Posts
Just a question: As I'm still learning English, what does "TOTM" mean?
Carlos, TOTM = Tune Of The Month (as saxoclese also explained above). It's a monthly thread where a member picks a song to record with. We have a TOTM thread cyclus for Beginners & Intermediates and a regular or main TOTM for more advanced players. In practice there is not much difference between both threads.

Here are some links:

- Main TOTM for this month: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?334978-TOTM-for-June-2018-Have-You-met-Miss-Jones
- B&I TOTM for ths month: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ner-amp-Intermediate-TOTM-for-June-2018-Sunny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts