Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm an alto sax player and also a precision mechanics. I wanted to work on a sax, re-pad and other maintenance actions so I went looking the web for cheap sax.
I bought this one "blindly" for cheap but when it came to identify it, it puzzle me quite a bit.
It has no name on it although the engravings seem to have been made to fit a brand name on. it has a serial number : 5003
The "Art-deco" engravings, the nail fail G# and the overall wear make me think it was made around the 30's or 40's.
it has several features found on tenor Conn /new wonder, like "edged" bottom C key and the left pinky key combination, but has both bell key on the left side
The high "under link" E key and the octave key are quite the same as a C melody Conn, but the size look quite larger (from the neck rim to the bottom bell is 28" (71cm) compared to the 24" usually expected for C-mel

so who can find some info on this sax?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
I don’t think this is a Conn, but a saxophone that was inspired to one.

In Germany, Bohemia ( the Czech republic) and in Italy there were several brands which inspired themselves to Conn.

This might be one but in my opinion this is not a Conn.

If you would go through many pictures of those you maybe find more about it .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Although some of the keywork looks like Conn, the slide on the octave mechanism looks Buescher. I also think it may be a Euro built horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
....never mind

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
not a conn and looks C-melody to me.
At 28" long? Stencil C melody saxophones aren't very common either. I'd be more worried about it being a high pitched European horn.

·
Banned
566 Posts
At 28" long? Stencil C melody saxophones aren't very common either. I'd be more worried about it being a high pitched European horn.
yes,maybe.
its the skinniness of the neck and the shape of the neck,plus even the bell looks skinnier than a tenor.
anyways,all good,as its not mine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts