Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an old Olds Ambassador flute. Overall, it's not in bad shape. I'm going to use this as a chance to attempt to replace flute pads. My problem is that the low C is missing both the screw and resonator(I believe they are called resonators on flute, I know they are on sax). Where could I get a replacement for this?

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Your local music store will likely have a "resonator" which is actually called a pad retaining screw and washer. This part is fairly universal. They can probably pull one off of a junk flute for you if they don't stock them in bulk. The Olds flute was made by Gemeinhardt I believe. The traditional BIR suppliers sell them as well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I wasn't sure if they were different on various brands or not. I also wasn't sure what they were called on flute.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
There are minor differences in diameter and size of hole. Basically it's just a thin washer.
Any technician should stock them in a range that covers what you want.

A few brands have turned them into an art form, but they are still just washers to retain the pads.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gordon. I'll try and make some calls around here. The closest tech is about 2 hours away, so I can't really afford to make a trip just for that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I' will send one today but to be certain....is it a current Olds? If it is not a newer Gemeinhardt one, then it may be an Artley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts