Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
during the summer, i run a local band which uses a somewhat unique four piece horn section. this summer, our 4th chair flaked. i asked a local high school girl (a graduating senior) if she'd be willing to join us for the summer. she agreed, but said she would be pretty busy until school got out (two weeks after university classes end). the rest of the group (all college kids) is anxious to get started.

the problem is, i can't get ahold of her. initial negotiations were via myspace e-mail. i ran into her at a school band concert, and she seemed excited about it. since then, nothing. i've sent her a couple of e-mails but she hasn't replied. i'm starting to get worried that she's changed her mind. now is the time to book shows for the summer, but i don't want to book anything i might have to pull out of due to lack of band. i don't want to start looking for another player, because feeling could be hurt, and she is a better player then our other options.

any advice? should i be worried? what would you do?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
Hate to sound like a hard-a__, but I'd advise that you find someone else. She's apparently either self-absorbed, unreliable, or disorganized , none of which bode well for your band. We have a couple of those in my community bands and they always have some excuse or another, but the underlying behavior remains the same. She's young---needs a wake-up call about responsibility and the consequences of a lack thereof. Maybe you will do her a "mitzvah" in replacing her.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
I hate to put it this way, but, get used to it! Unfortunately you will run into this situation over and over again. I wish it were otherwise. You just have to keep looking to find someone who acts in a professional manner. This is especially true when there isn't much $$ available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts