Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, long time since I posted...been practicing.

I have a new job, middle school and high school band and orchestra. Problem is, all the instruments are M.I.A. Don't know where they have gone and haven't heard from the past music teacher yet where they are hiding:banghead:

I am at a lose as to what to do! Any suggestions? Any places I can call for help? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks!

Zach

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Did the school board sell them, or put them in storage? Both are possible. I would think that everyone would know about a robbery!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,735 Posts
I have a new job, middle school and high school band and orchestra. Problem is, all the instruments are M.I.A.

I am at a lose as to what to do! Any suggestions? Any places I can call for help? Anything would be helpful.
I am hoping that you've reported the loss up your food chain (to your supervisor). You don't want to be looking for them without letting someone know that the loss is not on your watch.

After that, check the local repair shops.

Were there any assistants (paid or student) that might have a clue to institutional memory?

G'luck - and thanks in advance for taking on such an important yet, too often, thankless job!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
This may be an obvious suggestion, but could the marching band be using them?

Though I suppose they wouldn't be using all of them.

-Bubba-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,735 Posts
Is there a summer school program at another site?

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,589 Posts
In our band program many school owned instruments get sent home with students who may be switching horns for the upcoming school year. Bass clarinetists to tenor, alto or tenor sax players to bari, trumpet to baritone horn or tuba...
I'd check with the shop that handles the repair contracts for your school first to see what may have been sent in. Then I'd start bugging the former director for information on who he's had playing the schools horns.
After that I'd start checking off what is missing from the 'inventory' and pass it along to the principal or superintendant.

In our district they keep very good records on who has what. Kids name, make/model/serial number, parents contact info and signature.
If it isn't returned after 3 reminders to do so the school threatens legal action. Usually this gets the AWOL horns back in a big hurry. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,443 Posts
All good comments. Mine is to say "Make a report immediately to your supervisor (who I assume would be the principal or his/her designated subordinate)." Then, be guided by what you are told to do. I would not conduct an investigation without first being told to do so. The school may have a mechanism for that activity and you may muck it up by making inquiries in the wrong places. If, after you've made your report and nothing is done, THEN it may be a good thing to inquire. DAVE

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the repair shop. He had less then 12 instruments there :-(

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you need to purchase instruments and your school has the funding available. You could always try putting in a bid for instruments or figure out a list of your needs/budget and see if you can get some help through my employers. I've handled a few school deals over the years, and it's at least worth a shot to see what you can get.

I work for Sam Ash Music in Richmond, VA. You could email me direct [email protected] and I can see what we can do for you. I've had a few teachers come to me in the past with a list of like 4 flutes, 4 clarinets, 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, 2 baritones, 3 altos, 2 tenors, 1 bari ect. Given me their overall budget, and their desired brands, and I've come up with quotes for various options for them.

If I can help you out, please let me know. I'll do my best to get what you need under your budget.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
CYA pal! You need to either find an inventory list, or let your chain of command know that one doesn't exist. And I would put that in writing making certain that is dated.

I would assume some sort of official contact should be made to the former band director and I agree with Dave - check to make sure what process the school administration would use in doing this. Let them take the first action, keep abreast of what they do or do not do, and keep a paper trail of all of your contacts with school administrators regarding this. This may seem overkill, but 1.) you need the instruments for your program and 2.) if they've disappeared, you want to make sure that everyone has been appraised all along that you had nothing to do with it. School administrations can be the weakest when it comes to taking aggressive action and yet quite expert at buck passing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts