Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
The circled question mark is probably a missing icon. There should be an error message in a log somewhere, I imagine. From the screen shot it seems it should have been a speech bubble icon like the rest of the forums.

The other one is just a computer engineer-y way of indicating a "tree" organization, i.e. folders and subfolders (or sub-forums). So, most likely, it is used to show that something has (sub-)sub-forums.

Edit:
I get just an absence of icon there, not the question mark glyph. Looking at the forum home with Chrome's dev tools, I see that the link in that spot is to "https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/forum_fsft_new-48.pngforum_new-48.png".

The correct icon (judging from other forum icons) is "forum_new-48.png" (or "old" for the grey one). Or, if there is a special icon for "fsft" (for sale, for trade), that's probably named forum_fsft_new-48.png. Probably just a typo in configuration. It might be useful to take a good, hard look at those big FSFT icons shown inline for the subforums, too. Those look suspiciously like 48px icons that would look less ugly elsewhere.

Edit2:
The tree icon seems to be set by the forumdisplay.php script in the "a href" for the forum title. The link for it is "https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/misc/child_forum.png", and it is set as background for the forum title header.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but we SOTW admins cannot fix the image, this is really a question for VSAdmin, the owners of the SOTW, so they can fix it.

I'm awarenesses that little symbol could mean there are subforums, but not all of those subforms have subforums, besides plenty of other forums have subforms but don't have that symbol.

The circled question mark is probably a missing icon. There should be an error message in a log somewhere, I imagine. From the screen shot it seems it should have been a speech bubble icon like the rest of the forums.

The other one is just a computer engineer-y way of indicating a "tree" organization, i.e. folders and subfolders (or sub-forums). So, most likely, it is used to show that something has (sub-)sub-forums.

Edit:
I get just an absence of icon there, not the question mark glyph. Looking at the forum home with Chrome's dev tools, I see that the link in that spot is to "https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/forum_fsft_new-48.pngforum_new-48.png".

The correct icon (judging from other forum icons) is "forum_new-48.png" (or "old" for the grey one). Or, if there is a special icon for "fsft" (for sale, for trade), that's probably named forum_fsft_new-48.png. Probably just a typo in configuration. It might be useful to take a good, hard look at those big FSFT icons shown inline for the subforums, too. Those look suspiciously like 48px icons that would look less ugly elsewhere.

Edit2:
The tree icon seems to be set by the forumdisplay.php script in the "a href" for the forum title. The link for it is "https://forum.saxontheweb.net/images/misc/child_forum.png", and it is set as background for the forum title header.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sure. Just offering my "anyone" input based on a quick peek under the bonnet. Based on the file name, that tree icon is used for any "child forum". It does not make much sense as an icon, and it may not add much or anything in terms of distinguishing forum types, actions, etc.

·
29,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure. Just offering my "anyone" input based on a quick peek under the bonnet. Based on the file name, that tree icon is used for any "child forum". It does not make much sense as an icon, and it may not add much or anything in terms of distinguishing forum types, actions, etc.
Yes, I don't think it would either help anyone use the forum, or change the way they use it.

But it would be interesting to see what @VSadmin can say or shed light on it.

·
Administrator
1,579 Posts
Thanks for the update,

I'll see if a tech can get that image back up.
Also for the odd symbols, this is the only site I've seen this on, not sure what it represents, should we get that removed?

Ed

·
29,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the update,

I'll see if a tech can get that image back up.
Also for the odd symbols, this is the only site I've seen this on, not sure what it represents, should we get that removed?
I don't see why not, unless somebody steps forward saying what it is and why we need them.

OTOH, maybe removing them would break the whole site. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts