Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The bumper under the altissimo key on my horn (alto) is missing, causing the key to wiggle back and forth. It still works, but it's an annoyance and I'd like to fix it before I go off to college next year.

I was wondering where I could get a new bumper, and how I would re-adhere it. I'm assuming it would be a relatively painless repair.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Is it cork or felt? A piece of whatever it was glued on with contact adhesive would do the trick. You have to know the cork thickness to get it close to the right opening height. Why the key wiggles back and forth,I don't know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Altissimo key?
+1 - I'm guessing that the OP means the Front F key? (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Regardless, my suggestion would be to take it to your tech, get the bumper replaced with the correct replacement and the key adjusted to take any "wiggle" out of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
If it is the front F key, then a disc of 1mm thick felt stuck on with double-sided tape will do. That's what Yamaha use anyway.

·
5,484 Posts
Regardless of palm, front F, or whatever key, I still advise the OP to have a TECH fix it. (based on the ambiguity of the original question)

·
3,112 Posts
Regardless of palm, front F, or whatever key, I still advise the OP to have a TECH fix it. (based on the ambiguity of the original question)
Indeed. If it is the front F key (and high F isn't an altissimo note) then there are two pieces of silencing material on Yamaha front F keys (23/25/275/32/475/52/575/62/62II/82Z) - the felt disc under the touchpiece to stop it clattering with the LH1 fingerplate and the small cork block on the underside of the bend at the upper end that connects to the high F key which keeps it from clattering against the body.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,289 Posts
Now I know why my altissimo is not up to my standards.... I've been trying to play it without using the altissimo key. Could someone please let me know where this key is? I think mine is missing altogether :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's the key above the left-hand mother-of-pearl keys; F Key (I'd always heard it called the altissimo key).

It wiggles front to back because the cork/felt thing isn't there to keep it in place, so it just moves back and forth and hits the body of the horn. It doesn't affect anything playing-wise, it's just annoying. I believe it would be a small cork, because it's a rather large gap.

·
5,484 Posts
It's the key above the left-hand mother-of-pearl keys; F Key (I'd always heard it called the altissimo key).

It wiggles front to back because the cork/felt thing isn't there to keep it in place, so it just moves back and forth and hits the body of the horn. It doesn't affect anything playing-wise, it's just annoying. I believe it would be a small cork, because it's a rather large gap.
Okay then, that's what I thought but it's got a couple of names - front F or fork F (don't ask me why, I'm not sure where "fork" comes from!) most commonly used around here. In the case of the front F key, Chris gave you exactly what you need in post #6! Besides, it's a Yamaha - plenty of spare parts should be available cause they break all the time! (just kidding - that's the exact opposite of their reputation!) Good luck!

·
3,112 Posts
The front F key is easy to remove on Yamahas so you can easily do this yourself.

Undo the rod screw to remove the front F key and clean up the area where the cork goes (the short piece at a right angle to the main key arm) with isopropyl to degrease it.

Then cut a piece of cork into a rectangle measuring 4mm long (the length of the bend) by 3mm wide (the width of the key arm) by 2mm thick with a sharp razor blade or craft knife and glue it onto the underside of the end of the key. You can use superglue to do this, but only apply a small dab of it to the cork and stick it on.

You may need to trim the very end of the cork at an angle so it doesn't catch on the high Eb pad.

Then replace the front F key (holding the high F key open as you replace it) but remember to dip just the screw thread in some sewing machine or gearbox or motor oil before putting it back in.

DO NOT use any kind of vegetable oil (cooking oil, olive oil, bore oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil, etc.) as they will gum up the works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts