Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check THIS AD . I wrote them a letter suggesting that the King Tempo was made in the 60s and is the same ilk as the Superba II. They wrote back an indignant letter saying that maybe MY Tempo bari is one of those but this one is EXACTLY an SX90!!! However, it looks EXACTLY like mine and the SN is a Keilwerth 1967 date. I thought Wichita Band was reputable...if you feel anything strong...write them a note. I'd be curious to hear the response.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My superba I looks just like their Tempo. My SX-90 does not. Some of the differences are subtle.

I didn't even know SX-90s were made in 1980! :shock:

$2200+ :shock: I paid less than that for my superba- and it's in better shape with a nicer case (thanks Rick)!

On the other hand my limited experiences with Wichita Band is that they are "pricey" but usually fairly accurate with their descriptions. They have always readily taken back instruments from me. Seems like a lot of unnecessary words to sell a Tempo bari. :?

Just my $0.02

john

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
Definitely NOT an SX90 stencil.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
467 Posts
Witchita Band

Don't know anything much about these guys. But they have been doing this for a while. Several months ago I some home happened on their web site and discovered that they were advertising what they said was an SX-90 bari at what seemed to be a very low price. When I dug deeper, it turned out to be a much earlier stencil -- don't remember which flavor.

I thought it seemed like a very shifty thing to do.

Scott

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
Shmuelyosef is of course right on this, I know these horns pretty well. Bad ad and bad info. Pretty good horns though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was just on there website looking for prices for Superba I's Low A or an older SX90R.

I found 2 bari's:
1.) Armstrong 3070 s/n 81,399, made about 1985 - Price is $2,495
2.) "Con Brio" Keilwerth's stencil? s/n 65,862, made in Germany about 1975 - Price is $1,995.

Website descriptions:
1.) "J. Keilwerth SX-90 baritone saxophone #81,390, range to low A, made in Germany about 1985. Keilwerth produced saxophones for a number of American manufacturers, including the Armstrong Flute Company of Indiana. This one’s stamped with Armstrong’s name, but was definitely made by Keilwerth. Dents and dings have been burnished out in our shop in Wichita and all pads + corks are new. This is Keilwerth’s best baritone sax, now with a suggested retail price of $14,565. Range is to low A on this one. Keilwerth makes a superb baritone sax, but we don’t see many new instruments due to the high cost. This one’s $2495 with new lacquer finish with new mouthpiece, new case, all new pads and corks."

2.) "J. Keilwerth SX-90 baritone saxophone #65860, made in Germany about 1975. This one’s engraved with Keilwerth’s “Con Brio” stamp. The original dark lacquer is worn about 40%, has been cleaned and lightly over-sprayed with Nikolas 2105 lacquer to protect the worn areas. Dents and dings have been burnished out in our shop in Wichita and all pads + corks are new. Today, this is Keilwerth’s best baritone sax, now with a suggested retail price of $10,471. This particular instrument was built in the late 1960’s, when the D-Mark was low in value and Keilwerth was making saxes under two dozen different names. Range is to low A on this one. Keilwerth still makes a superb baritone sax, but we don’t see many new instruments due to the high cost. This one’s $1995 with original finish and over-spray to protect the worn areas or it’s $2295 fully relacquered and made to look “like new”."

I don't get the reference to SX90's other than to get you into the door.:?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts