Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

As I've mentioned in my post in the soprano sub forum, I experienced a miracle. Till now i have no explanation to why it happens;

It was only after my compulsory nation service that allowed me to rekindle my flame for saxophone. Prior to that, on and off saxophone playing. So all these while, been struggling with playing my horn as and when i have time.

All started when I received my horn from a seller. And I took it home to play but the notes below :space0: and above :line6: are giving me problems..tired meddling with it for a bout 1hr plus and I thought, "crap, so now its the same as my alto problem." I noticed that I do not have problems play all registers on a modern horn. Be it a Yamaha YAS62 or a Bundy 2 alto, notes throughout the registers were nice sounding.

Bored and unsatisfied, I took out my alto and assembled it and tried playing it. Set-up was a kessler custom short shank and a rovner ED2 lig with Vandorean java #3 reed(never tried a java on my alto b4). And when i want to start to produce a sound on my alto, I wished it the problems i faced with vintages will be solved. So i started with a :line2: and started to go down to :line0: and amazingly all my problems of a wobbly tone disappeared! I was overjoyed and thot. Woah.. wat happened? I tried all the alto mouthpieces i have and it was nice.. All was consistent. as compared to months before where a decent tone production was not very possible. Those mouthpieces are Rovner wilkerson HR, otto link tone master metal, woodwind co. stock mouthpiece, rico mpc.

Thinking back, I am still wondering what could have caused this sudden improvement. Could it be the 1 hr + of sop playing made my muscles more developeD? or could it be that the Java reeds were meant for my alto ?

Anyone ?

·
Registered
957 Posts
More probably the change of reeds ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
silvin said:
More probably the change of reeds ...
Hi

Initially i thot so. But I used vandorean traditional, ZZ, V16, Rico grand concert but it also gave the same problem a few months back.

When i switched back reeds after that day, it have little or no differences in tone production. Tremble free!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't count your chickens!

You may wake up in a day or so and find that you are back where you were!

Semper in excretia sumus: solem profundum variat.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
My search brought up:

"We're always in the sh*t, only the depth varies"

(Semper in excretia sumus: solem profundum variat)

Not very positive, is it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts