Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of las Tuesday's jam I checked my alto reed: cracked and ragged ( no wonder it played so bad).
I knew that I had a Thursday gig so next day I broke out a new Vandoren French cut, blue box 2 1/2 reed and slapped it on the Couf Artist 9*.
I fully expected to start adjusting it after playing a bit (like always).
I played it for 15 minutes and couldn't find anything wrong, matter of fact it's the most balanced reed I ever owned.
Never before (on any sax) has this happened over the decades that I've played.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I was thinking that it came back to life 3 days afteryou had put it for it's final rest.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
The Vandorens are to me the most perfectly manufactured reeds I've seen, but I've never liked them. Maybe I should try them again since my horns are playing better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Vandorens are to me the most perfectly manufactured reeds I've seen, but I've never liked them. Maybe I should try them again since my horns are playing better.
I'm with you. The Vandorens are like little pieces of art but to me they don't seem to play that great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
Treasure that one.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Enjoy it while it lasts. Unfortunately it will eventually wear out. You'll find a truly great reed on occasion, as well as some very good ones, some mediocre ones, and terrible ones. Some will respond to a bit of adjustment and/or a breaking in period and become good to great, some won't. This is just the nature of the beast.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016, Musician and Store Ow
476 Posts
Happy for you and your miracle reed!

I'm still fascinated by the reed discussion with Dick Oatts in that Vanguard Sax Section interview. If you have not seen it I'm sure you'll find it of interest. It's a long video - the reed discussion starts about the 18:00 mark.

://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?349210-MUST-SEE-ALERT!-Vanguard-Jazz-Orchestra-sax-section&highlight=vanguard+orchestra

1 - 12 of 12 Posts