Sax on the Web Forum banner

MINT,MINT,MINT----definition of mint....?

6K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  AddictedToSax 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Sellers Hype most of the time.
Mint condition is an expression used to denote the quality of a pre-owned good as displaying virtually no imperfections and being in pristine condition relative to its original production state. Originally, the phrase related to the way collectors described the condition of coins.

#14 ·
Sellers Hype most of the time.
Mint condition is an expression used to denote the quality of a pre-owned good as displaying virtually no imperfections and being in pristine condition relative to its original production state.
I don't think that's quite right. It should mean no imperfections (as opposed to virtually no imperfections) and pristine condition, not relative to its original production state

It's a bit like the word virgin. There is no relatively or virtually a virgin. Or pregnant There is no relatively or virtually pregnant.

Mint means as new. Simple as that.

#5 ·
There's seems to be a new use for the word along the lines of it being good or a good thing. So if someone has a nice find, they'll call it mint even though it's knackered and tatty.

With a bit of resurgence in LP sales a saw a few shops selling records that were all scuffed around the edge and looking very used. They kept describing these as Mint on the price label.

I don't think it's a good idea to use such terms that could be interpreted in different ways but some people seem oblivious to the original meaning.

#10 ·
Definitely not mint, but in good condition for 1954... especially a Martin, as their lacquer is notoriously prone to flaking off over time. And I wouldn't call it grossly overpriced, considering there are shops in N America selling Martins in worse shape than this for basically the same price. (Check vintagesax.com and Tenor Madness if you'd like)

#11 ·
Does it have a chocolate coating on the bell? Can you play it after eight? Then it's got a mint interior although the exterior is not mint.

#17 ·
Mint should only be used for something that looks brand new. This would be a time capsule horn that sat in a case unplayed or barely played for years. If it had a minor scratch or other imperfection you could call it near mint. This one on ebay is more in the "excellent" category. But just like everything else lately, it seems that if you say something over and over again, people believe it.

#18 ·
My tech had a closet case Comm III for sale in his shop about 5 years ago. The lacquer was flawless and it had the sticker and it had me drooling. However, after playing it against my lousy relaq-job Comm III, mine was better sounding and I got over the cosmetically induced momentary GAS spasm. Remember, all this mint business only really pertains to looks and not how a sax plays. It may be important to collectors but not really to players IMO. Go for the tone and sound and not the bling, that's what matters.

#23 ·
Or is that the TV companion of Mork? :bluewink:

"Mintyish" is perhaps the more honest term in the current vernacular.

#24 ·
The use of words in advertising is an interesting subject. People are very susceptible to key words not only in marketing but in general.

I've been fighting with the word "mint" and "like new" for a long time. Everyone has their own standard of mint, excellent, nice, no problems, plays great...... If I buy something rated "MINT", it should at least LOOK like it's new. You shouldn't be able to tell the difference between mint and new except for hang tags, factory labels, whatever it came with from the factory.

Buying without physically verifying "mint" in person is always a shot in the dark no matter how flowery the description may be. Now, "mintish" and "minty" automatically raise suspicion and propel me to ask many questions.

#25 ·
The use of words in advertising is an interesting subject. People are very susceptible to key words not only in marketing but in general.

I've been fighting with the word "mint" and "like new" for a long time. Everyone has their own standard of mint, excellent, nice, no problems, plays great...... If I buy something rated "MINT", it should at least LOOK like it's new. You shouldn't be able to tell the difference between mint and new except for hang tags, factory labels, whatever it came with from the factory.

Buying without physically verifying "mint" in person is always a shot in the dark no matter how flowery the description may be. Now, "mintish" and "minty" automatically raise suspicion and propel me to ask many questions.
Yeah, mint should be "As New" with no flaws you wouldn't expect to see in a new horn. That could include tiny flaws in the lacquer, some buffing marks in a silver plated horn, etc... I've seen horns listed as mint that are far from that definition!

#28 ·
I wouldn't doubt that some non-playing ebayer might call an old sax mint because of the green corrosion on it.

#33 ·
I thought a barn find was when you stepped up to your ankle in a fresh cow pie that was hidden by some straw.

#35 ·
Somehow this thread popped up at the bottom of my page, so I figured I would bring it back to life. The last 3 horns I sold on eBay popped back up on eBay listed in "mint condition" at a higher price immediately. For one of them, they buyer asked for my pics for "insurance purposes" and he had that thing listed before I even mailed it to him. None of these 3 horns were in mint condition, they all had scratches and various other things wrong with them. I listed them with the defects, so I'm guessing these buyers just buy whatever and list in mint condition with a higher price tag. Ebay is a cesspool, especially when something is advertised as "mint."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.