Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my tech friend Jim got in a mint condition Buffet SDA Soprano 60's from an elderly gentleman selling his instruments . It's in mint condition not even a scratch has been stored away for 35 years looks brand new . He is asking 1000 for it and i want it.
Is it worth that . The guy who is selling it bought it in the 60's but never used it he is a clarinet player and thought it would be an easy transition to soprano so he played it twice and gave up lol !

Doug

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
they go for about twice that on a good day

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
If you've checked the serial no. and it's a French made Buffet SDA or the later S-1 it that condition for that price, go buy it right now. I think SDA sopranos are pretty rare, since, by the soprano craze of the 70's, the S-1 was out.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it and yes a low serial number number 20 and its the french sda made in paris and in minty condition !!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I t plays like a dream but there is no hook for a strap and after about 30 minutes it gets heavy any suggestions ,my tech said he could solder a hook and I said noooo ! lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts
I've got a lovely Buffet S-1 soprano which is very similar to the SDA.

I bodged up a strap hook out of brass looped around and fitted into the lyre holder which is round the back close to where you would want a strap hook. Steve Howard later made me a proper version and I believe that Oleg sells something similar for the MkVI soprano. No need for solder, but still very secure.

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Oleg does make one for Selmer and Yani for use with the lyre holder. $60.00. Whether it'll work on a Buffet is the question.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I t plays like a dream but there is no hook for a strap and after about 30 minutes it gets heavy any suggestions ,my tech said he could solder a hook and I said noooo ! lol
I had the same problem with my King Marigaux soprano, but didn't want to spring $$ for the oleg device. I read somewhere that someone used a trumpet slide ring inserted into the bell lyre holder as a similar fix. Finally I went to the hardware shop and got an eyelet screw (a screw with a ring at one end of it), and used this inserted into my KM bell lyre holder and it works fine, so you could try something similar. Just check that your bell lyre holder is somewhere near the thumb hook, which I believe it should be. I also struggled with the idea of soldering a strap ring onto my sop, and am glad I found a cheap and non-invasive fix.

I've tried an SDA tenor before which was very good, so I'm sure the soprano should be sweet!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
866 Posts
I had the same problem with a MK VI soprano: my tech soldered the strap ring to the top of the thumb hook, which works great, and left the horn itself untouched.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am really torn this is a amazing soprano both in playability and looks . Its in mint condition with 99.5 lacquer . I need to sell it though oh well

Doug

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wound up paying 1500 and spend another
125. For some adjustments and one
Spring so far . It's not that it didn't work out
More like I can't afford to keep lost a
Big client need a new one soon

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had a little mishap so I sent him this email

Tried to contact you by phone today
So anyway the lyre came off and I called my tech he said its no big deal he will put it back on tomorrow . So he said 25.00 to fix it in 15 minutes . I will refund your money if you prefer not to get it now . I have 3 people that want it if you decide to pass on it. My tech promised me it will not effect the horns value so thats good . lLet me know what you want to do
Ty

Doug

Here was his response
No problem, Doug. Just have it fixed and send it right away. I already paid for it. If you prefer not to have it fixed, send it as is along with a check for $25.00 and I will have my own repair guy fix it. Either way, please send me the instrument asap. Let me know the tracking number as soon as you do.

Thank you,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts