Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Can anyone please describe and define how the scale goes what are the notes of it . and in wich way can i play it with harmony . also in what type of music can it be used .

Ps: ( and please no negativ feedback such as go buy a book or something . i want a simple answer )(i got nothing against books althought !)

Thank you

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,567 Posts
To paint with a broad brush, and give you a general scale that will fit with most of your garden variety minor chords, here is the Natural Minor Scale:

Assuming you know your major scales, they relate (also called relative minor) very closely, as they are the same scale, but you start on a different note.

Take the key of C for example: Go to the 6th note (A), and play your C major starting on A...Play A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A...that is your A Natural Minor scale.

If you spell out the scale it is: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8ve.

That will get you started. It will help you remember them better if you figure out the other eleven keys on your own.

Good luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
The more common minor scale in jazz and pop is a Dorian minor. If you take the same C scale from above and start and end on the D you have a D dorian scale. I would say dorian and then natural minor are the two most common minor scales you will see. There are a lot of other minor scales.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts