Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
The photo shows a couple of very small areas where the finish has flaked away. Any ideas on what might have caused this? Any suggestions on how to "repair" it? My sax (P. Mauriat alto) is only 10 months old, is in otherwise perfect condition, and I have never dropped it or struck it in that spot.
I guess I can live with this minor blemish, but don't want it to happen again...so are there any preventative steps I should be taking?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
it is extremely minor and due to its position by a post it may have been caused by some solder flux trapped under the post and slowly released (It happens to the best of brands) in time.

IF... this really bothers you you may attempt to remove the offending area (it will remove the finish) with some gentle polishing action with a dremel.

Registered
That's commonly called "acid bleed" which sounds a lot worse than it is. The flux used in soldering down that post didn't get completely cleaned off before lacquering, and the brass has corroded underneath the lacquer. It's harmless and virtually impossible to repair, especially in a place like that. Unless you can go back in time and make sure the horn's body is run back through the cleaning processes a couple more times, there's nothing "preventive" you can do, either. More such spots may emerge with time.

Just practice enough to wear the finish off the rest of the horn, and then it'll all match.

Registered
Acid Bleed or Bleed Through is "really disappoinging" - it does nothing for aesthitics and or instrument value.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts