Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for minimalist literature to play and have been having trouble finding any other than Glass' quartet. In particular I am searching for solo literature to play in a recital setting. If anyone can help my search or can recommend any pieces, please email me. [email protected] Thanks!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I really enjoy Rodney Rogers 'Lessons of the Sky' (McAllister- Duo Nova, and Kyle Horch- Anglosax), and Leonard Mark Lewis 'As In Stained Light' (Kenneth Tse, An American Exhibition) for minimalist stuff. Also, Grahm Fitkin has some amazing saxo literature that would easily fall into this category.

Hope that is helpful!
Steve P

·
Distinguished Member
566 Posts
check out Melodies by Glass. They are unaccompanied and generally short. Some are related to the quartet and others are not. One in particular I find very beautiful.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Sue Fancher has transcribed versions of Steve Reich's New York Counterpoint (approved by the composer) for solo soprano with pre-recorded track, and for quartet plus pre-recorded track. They're available through Boosey.
----------------------------
Steve Reich is one of American's best-known composers, and an acknowledged leader among composers of so-called "minimal" music. I had the pleasure of meeting both Steve Reich and video artist Beryl Korot after their stunning video opera The Cave was premiered in Vienna's 1994 Festwochen. I wrote to Steve asking if he thought any piece of his might work in a transcription for saxophone quartet. He replied that New York Counterpoint, originally for clarinet solo with tape or clarinet ensemble, could work well on saxophones and encouraged me to make an arrangement for saxophone quartet and tape. My arrangement of the work is published by Boosey & Hawkes. (Susan Fancher)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does anybody know where I can get a copy of the Torke concerto? I had no idea he had written a solo work for saxophone, and I find his orchestral music very interesting. I'd love to get my hands on that piece....

·
Registered
133 Posts
"The Celtic" by Dave Heath is a burning piece...When I tried to get the Torke Concerto a couple years back, nobody had it in stock. I literally had to steal it from a guy (this is wrong...)...Just try digging. You never know where you'll find a piece.

·
Registered
159 Posts
One of the required pieces for the Dinant compititon, "Décalcomanie de Reich et Ligeti" by Jean-Luc Fafchamps is strongly influanced by the music of both Steve Reich and György Ligeti. I'm not sure where you could buy the piece but you can view video of it on adolphesax.com. I really love this piece.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Agreed. The Fafchamps is a -strong- piece indeed. Very groovy! I do however, wish it had a better written cadenza. I can see where its motivic development leads, but it is much more abstract than the rest of the piece.

Steve P

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Brian Sacawa plays a saxophone and CD version of Philip Glass "Piece in Shape of a Square", which is very cool.

Masataka Hirano plays Steve Reich "Reed Phase" which is about as pure minimalist as it gets.

I heard Mike Straus play Terry Riley's "Dorian Reeds" in Atlanta, for soprano saxo and delay. Really enjoyed that.

Graham Fitkin gets a huge vote from me if you play soprano saxo. Hard Fairy is totally rockin for saxo w/ 2 pianos, and Gate is kind of similar feel (heard this one on clarinet w/ piano). A more flowing lyrical piece of his is "Glass" for soprano saxo and piano, very beautiful, tough big intervals.

You can arrange just about any Michael Nyman piece for saxophone and piano. Such beautiful simple music he writes.

As much as I love the Torke Concerto (I think it's one of our best!), I can't seem to dig it with piano. Of course, playing it on my master's recital got me better prepared to perform it with orchestra the following year, but you just can't replace Torke's vividly colorful orchestration with something as monochromatic as a piano. Great piece, though. Ditto with Gavin Bryars "The Green Ray".

And of course, Veldhuis does great work.

Angel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts