Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm filling the gaps in my Mingus collection,I'd like to know what you recommend.
My favourites to date are: AH UM
Blues and Roots
Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
OH YEAH
Mingus, Booker Ervin and Roland Kirk together wow,I can't hear enough with John Handy or Mariano either.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Anything with Dolphy, too.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
For perverse pleasures:twisted::twisted::twisted:, check out MONEY JUNGLE ( Mingus was not a happy camper on that session with Ellington and Max Roach)
and
for sheer joy:cheers::cheers::cheers:, MINGUS AT CARNEGIE HALL ( Roland Kirk,on C JAM BLUES, does a series of "impersonations", out- "George Adams-ing" George Adams, and then forcing all the horn players(by single-handedly holding the V chord on multiple horns while circular breathing) to recharge their cadenza-chops again and again before letting the tune end.

Then there's THE CLOWN .....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts
YOUR favourites are among MY favorites -- in fact, I was just listening to Ah Um today and reveling in how DAMN GREAT it will always be! -- anyways: yeah, Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus is required, with Dolphy and Ted Curson, and IMMEDIATELY get Mingus At Antibes, or else. You will faint. Right Now Live At The Jazz Workshop has Clifford Jordan ON FIRE! I also love many of the bootlegs from the '64 tour, but sound quality is all over the map on those...

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Anything with Dolphy
+500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

not Mingus ...but one of my desert island picks Blues and the Abstract Truth - Oliver Nelson

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
For perverse pleasures:twisted::twisted::twisted:, check out MONEY JUNGLE ( Mingus was not a happy camper on that session with Ellington and Max Roach)
great record....Live at Massey Hall is a very interesting story......Mingus was ashamed of his playing,and overdubbed his bass tracks in studio(he owned the record company).....but if you can get your hands on the original recording it sounds MUCH better,because he actually screwed up the mix in the process i have it on the COMPLETE DEBUT RECORDINGS

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
oh yeah,and Mingus kills too!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
A recording of 'Prayer for Passive Resistance' w/ Yusef Lateef on tenor is great... Mingus put together some interpolations... 'Take the 'A' Train' & 'Exactly like You' have similar chord progressions... a multi-theme mashup if you will...

·
729 Posts
Mingus live at Antibes Jazz festival 1960:

Ted Curson:trumpet
Eric Dolphy: alto sax & bass cl
Booker Ervin: tenor sax
Dannie Richmond: drums
Mingus:bass & piano
also Bud Powell on piano on "I´ll remember April".

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have 15 Mingus albums, but the two I listen to most often are the previously mentioned "Mingus Ah Um" and "Mingus Dynasty". For those hardcore Mingus fans. the old Columbia LP "Nostalgia in Times Square" has the non-edited tracks of these two recordings.

His later Atlantic recordings, "Chnages One" and "Changes Two" are also among my favorites. They feature George Adams and Don Pullen---enough said!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
Thx, guys, this is great - I have been wanting to explore more Mingus. I have only a couple of Mingus albums. Tijuana Moods is the best of them.

·
4,163 Posts
I love Mingus Ah Um, especially the sax solo on Goodbye Porkpie Hat. I think it's John Handy. It's one of the most beautiful sax solos I've ever heard in the 40 years I've been listening to jazz.

For fun, I love the song Eat That Chicken. What a great beat, and a great way to put a smile on your face. I especially like Mingus yelling in the background, "Hot diggity dog!"

What seems to have become an extremely rare album is Mingus' Scenes in the City. Branford remade it a few years ago. A narrator describes the sounds and smells of jazz music while Mingus' group plays in the background. The best lines: "Jazz is beautiful. But it isn't really beautiful, like a woman you were with last night. It's terribly beautiful."

Damn, I gotta get more Mingus.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mingus Live at UCLA is a hoot. If you have the complete version, you can here the horns screw up the opening to one song. Mingus gets pissed off and sends them of stage to 'learn their sh*t' while he plays some solo bass. Funny as hell.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
+1 on the '65 UCLA recordings. Ends with "Don.t Let It Happen Here." Rips your heart out every time. For some reason you love it..

-Bubba-

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
My favorite by far was the last album he was on. Although he didn't play on this album, he wrote 4 of the songs.

From Wikipedia:

"Mingus is the tenth studio album by Joni Mitchell, and a collaboration with jazz musician Charles Mingus. Recorded in the months before his death, it would be Mingus's final musical project; the album is wholly dedicated to him."

I'm not too keen on Eric Dolphy, although I recognize his genius. He may have changed a lot had he lived longer.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I picked up all of the albums suggested above,and then some...Putting a record collection together has never been easier than now,with the resources of the net and Amazon,one of the Mingus discs I bought came from Kazakhstan,their retail site offered the best price{it's a small world...but I wouldn't want to paint it}. I thank you all kindly for your suggestions.Some of the albums are great from beginning to end,others have a track or two that make them worth having.
'Mingus Antibes' is on fire,it's like the Devil is having a party,Dolphy and Booker Ervin have never sounded better to me.Mingus at Carnegie Hall is worth having for Roland Kirk's solo on C Jam Blues,it is quite extraordinary and hilarious.Tijuana Moods,first track is great and 'Scenes in the City' is also issued on that disc.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts