Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one for cheap price. Cathouse model Black Nickel w/24K gold-plated keys..Had it fully restored ($40.) and it cleaned up great, plays great too but what is it..? Tenon Horn or ??? I don't think it's a China sax or Taiwan . Vietnam ?? Got it from a HS prof that bought new from Laabs music long ago.:|

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Another mystery for the horn geeks Cash! ....nice to have a 'proper' thread goin' on after all that 'political' stuff eh?....

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lord have mercy if I ever do any thing as stupid as that again please shoot me..

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes just a (X-mas) fun sax question..who the hell is Tenon, I know they are big, did they make my horn..who was it ? I gotta know....oh new mpc for the beast on the way..my metalites have become boring.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Well the name "Cathouse" sounds at best suspicious.
What is this, a saxophone? For $40? Repairs cost $40?
Tenon is part of a saxophone. I never heard of a company Tenon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
Yes just a (X-mas) fun sax question..who the hell is Tenon, I know they are big, did they make my horn..who was it ? I gotta know....oh new mpc for the beast on the way..my metalites have become boring.
A Taiwanese company with factory in Viet-Nam and China too they make, buy and resell instrumetns , cases and accessories.

Well the name "Cathouse" sounds at best suspicious.
What is this, a saxophone? For $40? Repairs cost $40?
Tenon is part of a saxophone. I never heard of a company Tenon.

Then you haven’t paid attention because it has been named MANY times in these 15 or so years

http://www.music-tenon.com.tw

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Milandro you ARE the resident genius on this sort of stuff. This is a great old sax for what it is. Probably a lot of us on the Forum have a Tenon Horn or 2.. I think ol' Milwakee Jim Laabs is still in business too..

"Cathouse" ?? well that's MY term for a bit Gaudy Horn. $40. repairs ? oh yeah, she needed a couple small pads. my tech charged me a $20 ..and then two solders for another $20.

I Q-tip cleaned polished and oiled the horn myself at a cost of about 2 hrs labor.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If memory serves Tenon’s US sales are under the Chateau name.
I have an embroidered "CHATEAU" cleaning swab/cloth that came with a Kessler Sop. I like it.. I dumped the Sop it came with, but kept the swab for my Series II Sop. works good!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
If memory serves Tenon’s US sales are under the Chateau name.
Chateau is only one of their many incarnations.

They are one of the big players in the world of stencils with their multifaceted operation (which includes, for the more upmarket stuff, to buy it from other Taiwanese makers).

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Laabs Music likely had the "Milwaukee" logo branded on their stenciled stuff, since they are located? well Milwaukee. Who actually made it and where I may never know I guess.

It is a pretty decent old horn I will say. Good enough to gig with for sure..I presume it would be identical to some other early Asian branded Bari's from that Era. Would be fun to know more about it.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Laabs Music likely had the "Milwaukee" logo branded on their stenciled stuff, since they are located? well Milwaukee. Who actually made it and where I may never know I guess.

It is a pretty decent old horn I will say. Good enough to gig with for sure..I presume it would be identical to some other early Asian branded Bari's from that Era. Would be fun to know more about it.
Jim Laab's Music is in Stevens Point, WI., about 35 miles from me. Having said that, I've probably set foot inside that store twice in the last 25 yrs.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This old beast is still cookin..The thing recently flew (in the Protech case) from the top of the packed amps in the van to the concrete below. Happened in a instant, it fell easy 4-5 feet.. and landed hard..I popped the case open, first look I see the bell flattened on one side. Not a pretty sight.

I got home and my horn wouldn't play and I thought well this is a bad one. Upon first feel the horn felt funny, OK I says, I'm screwed..the horn is hurt bad. Well I took a closer look..upon inspection I see just one large upper spring had popped off, which gave my upper stack that sinking busted feel...I hooked it back, I couldn't believe it..horn played better than ever (ok maybe was my new Berg)..but point is this horn took a terrific slam and stayed strong..to me that is a testimony to a well constructed horn.

FWIW I knocked over a Super 20 tenor simply standing on end in the original box case, it simply toppled sideways to a carpeted floor (hotel lobby) not such a bad fall so I thought....Damn the whole body was tweaked, no gig that night. Took more than one repairman to fix it properly.

A few days ago I did take the Bari in for a proper fix, my repair guy is a Magician, He straightened the Bell lip (looks fine again) for $20.

All good:mrgreen:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have an embroidered "CHATEAU" cleaning swab/cloth that came with a Kessler Sop. I like it.. I dumped the Sop it came with, but kept the swab for my Series II Sop. works good!
Kessler's "Handmade" sopranos are most definitely made by Tenon, as they are identical to my Chateau sop. I suspect that many, if not all, of the Kessler-branded saxes are made by Tenon. And who knows, perhaps other instruments as well, as Tenon produces a full line of band instruments.

My Taiwan-made (they build their top-of-the-line saxes in Taiwan) Chateau alto is truly an excellent sax, and my Vietnamese-made Chateau sop is also very good. The trick is finding a dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts