Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've an opportunity to buy a MW sop. Just wondering if others have owned or have tried one. I'm looking for a cheap one and the price is right.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I bought this sop. It's being mailed to me. I cannot find any info on the net regarding this brand. I'm assuming it's an Asian horn. Does anyone here know where it came from?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well, I bought this sop. It's being mailed to me. I cannot find any info on the net regarding this brand. I'm assuming it's an Asian horn. Does anyone here know where it came from?
Hope its not a. cheap pos. Chinese horn

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rec'd the sop today. The ad said "As new". It is true! Plays well, out of the box, with stock mouthpiece. In tune to my ear, altho' I haven't checked it with a tuner, which needs a new battery. Some case candy: Neotech neck strap and an Apex condenser mic which will clip on to any horn. I found out about the origin of the Millenium Winds sax. Obviously Asian, it was manufactured for a music store in Surrey, BC, called "Prussin Music".

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used my tuner, now that I've replaced its' battery. I'm very pleased! It plays in tune! Forgot to mention, the deal included a soprano sax stand. Total price, with case candy,(Neotech neckstrap, condenser mic and attachment hardware, sax stand); $275. Pretty good, I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,025 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal on a horn that will meet your needs. If it plays in tune you’re well ahead of the game. As to where it was made, who cares if it meets your needs!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I feel lucky. I've had several sops. Vintage, newish, and inbetweenish. Didn't think I wanted one again. GAS overtook me. After reading many posts on these Asian horns, I was really surprised with the quality, and especially with the mpc. Maybe not quite as good as the Soprano Planet I sold, but good enough.
Thanks for your comments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,025 Posts
Lol, I’ve done the same thing a couple times! Sell the soprano, sell the bari, only to Jones for replacements a year or two later.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm lovin' this horn! My spouse dislikes the high sounds, so I did some blowing today in the low to 2nd G range. The sound is like warm velvet. That's what immediately came to mind. Does anyone have a better or different description of a soprano's sound? I'd be interested in hearing. Thanks for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts