Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've an opportunity to buy a MW sop. Just wondering if others have owned or have tried one. I'm looking for a cheap one and the price is right.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I bought this sop. It's being mailed to me. I cannot find any info on the net regarding this brand. I'm assuming it's an Asian horn. Does anyone here know where it came from?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rec'd the sop today. The ad said "As new". It is true! Plays well, out of the box, with stock mouthpiece. In tune to my ear, altho' I haven't checked it with a tuner, which needs a new battery. Some case candy: Neotech neck strap and an Apex condenser mic which will clip on to any horn. I found out about the origin of the Millenium Winds sax. Obviously Asian, it was manufactured for a music store in Surrey, BC, called "Prussin Music".

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used my tuner, now that I've replaced its' battery. I'm very pleased! It plays in tune! Forgot to mention, the deal included a soprano sax stand. Total price, with case candy,(Neotech neckstrap, condenser mic and attachment hardware, sax stand); $275. Pretty good, I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,089 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal on a horn that will meet your needs. If it plays in tune you’re well ahead of the game. As to where it was made, who cares if it meets your needs!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I feel lucky. I've had several sops. Vintage, newish, and inbetweenish. Didn't think I wanted one again. GAS overtook me. After reading many posts on these Asian horns, I was really surprised with the quality, and especially with the mpc. Maybe not quite as good as the Soprano Planet I sold, but good enough.
Thanks for your comments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,089 Posts
Lol, I’ve done the same thing a couple times! Sell the soprano, sell the bari, only to Jones for replacements a year or two later.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm lovin' this horn! My spouse dislikes the high sounds, so I did some blowing today in the low to 2nd G range. The sound is like warm velvet. That's what immediately came to mind. Does anyone have a better or different description of a soprano's sound? I'd be interested in hearing. Thanks for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts