Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I painted the family/theater/music room worked from 9-4 all the while I played Miles Davis' version of the pop hit Human Nature. Same song for 7 hours. No complaints from the neighbors or the wife!
I then picked up my soprano and was able to piece some of it together.
Does anyone know if the transcription for this song is available Thanks. I searched google and came up empty. Mayho

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, I do that quite often. Maybe not 7 hours, but I can listen to the same song for about an hour if I like the groove. The wife didn't care as long as I painted. I was about an hour in and I was wishing I'd hired someone to do it. Mayho

·
Registered
78 Posts
mixer

you could be (should be?) a mixing engineer! i know i can't listen to any one piece of music for very long. when it comes to editing or mixing, you need to listen to the same piece for hours, days and even longer. if you have the patience and the interest for that, you're a better man than i. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always been like that with music. Last night I played Miles version of Time After Time for 6 Hours. (thanks ipod!). As a child I remember having a radio and just zoning out.
I wanted to be a DJ, getting paid to play records. I didn't have the opportunity to play an instrument. I always had a stereo and records sometimes when I didn't have much to eat.
I remember at 19 seriously contemplating joining the service and buying a sax, sailing around the world and learning to play.

I always enjoyed going to the record stores for hours and I'd pick up 10 LP's and walk aroud the store and decide which 8 to put back:) I'd love for people to come over and I'd play a record and they would ask "Who's That".
I currently have 3 receivers, and 12 speakers hooked up in my house, not counting computers and portables

I turned 40 and started taking sax lessons. I still suck at it but I make noise every night. My musical taste have gone from Soul, Funk, R&B, Rock, Reggae, Smooth and Traditional Jazz. Live music in almost any style amazes me. I can watch a child play an instrument and it amazes me.

It is akin to wanting to be able to dunk a basketball and bring the house down.
These two Miles recordings, he could play note he wanted. His use of time, space, melody, every note seems right. Why did he play that particular note at that point in the record. I think a part of me might be mourning the fact that Miles lived in my lifetime, and I missed it!
Forgive my ignorance, but right now I rank him a close second to Duke Ellington as the most influential musicians in Jazz.

I can't really explain why it captivates me. The greatest film in the world I can watch twice, maybe three times. A good song everytime I hear it, it does something to me. Even when I know whats going to happen.

If you are reading this you probably figure I have a few issues besides OCD!!!!! But I love it. Thanks for reading. Mayho

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
charlienyc said:
you could be (should be?) a mixing engineer! i know i can't listen to any one piece of music for very long. when it comes to editing or mixing, you need to listen to the same piece for hours, days and even longer. if you have the patience and the interest for that, you're a better man than i. :)

Mixing is a different kind of listening.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If you just listened to it for that long you should have it in your ear pretty deeply. The Perfect state for transcribing the tune. Just do it. It's good for you.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you are right

Bighorn, I picked up my soprano and after about five minutes I had it!. I can hear or play the intervals, but I'm playing in the key of G. Historically whenever I do this I am surprised at the difference in what I hear and what is actually played. Thanks, Mayho.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hakukani said:
Mixing is a different kind of listening.
true, but if i had that kind of wherewithall i'd be mixing - all the time! i do a lot of editing and my ears/mind get tired after a few hours. just a thought...

thanks for the bg info mayho. 'tis never too late to do those things you've always wanted to do. ;)

cheers,
-c

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Charlie. Mayho

1 - 10 of 10 Posts