Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most....beautiful tracks in jazz and more....

This cut I always go back to for energy, focus and joy. Miles was beyond words for me.

How has MILES affected you?

Your music?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Tim, I don't get the Solea or Miles connection ?

This seems to be G.Mulligan on 'Shadow Of Your Smile" ?

It's a great track anyway. I listened to it recently. Maybe you also posted
this not so long ago ?

I found this one on Youtube...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Tim,
Wow, I don't know where to start, first of all it's great to know someone out there is still listening to this great piece of music, as I relate to it on such a personal level and still escape to it for solitude, reflection, and inspiration.

I started on trumpet and as young kid was introduced to this album. I didn't know what to think of the trumpet player as he didn't play very legit in the classical sense, yet I was intrigued and something about him was compelling and mysterious. I figured he must be good, otherwise a whole orchestra and record company wouldn't have backed him up.

As time went by I really grew to appreciate everything about this recording; the compositions, the arrangements (especially the dissonance), and the soulfullness of Miles. I then and now will sit in a dark room, listen, and transport my self to another place listening to this music. If I had a time machine, being in that studio, watching and listening to this live recording session is definitely somewhere I would like to be transported to.

Thanx for posting this Tim, I hope this post inspires some to revisit and/or discover this music. When you talk about having; a personal sound, expressiveness, soulfullness, a tone, etc. Miles sets the bar here.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
At first, I got recordings of the fifties Miles because Colatrane and Cannonball were sidemen. Later, I realized the sublime beauty of Miles Davis's trumpet playing. The first solo I transcribed was Miles' solo from So What on Kind of Blue.

Gil Evans was a genius, too.

My favorite interplay of two jazz musicians is the opening of 'Stella By Starlight' between Herbie and Miles live in 1964.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
"Kind of Blue" was my first Miles recording. I loved every cut. I purchased Sketches of Spain a few months after (around 1971 I think...). I recall having the recording for quite a while without listening to the other side. I couldn't seem to bring myself to put the record on the turntable if "Solea" wasn't playing! The guy at the record store was a big jazz fan and told me he thought Miles had put out a bit of commercial fluff with this one and he found the arrangements to be way to cheezy. I thought just the opposite. If this was "schmaltzy" music, it certainly did elevate what could be accomplished when great musical minds come together. For me, it was kind of like listening to life on an elevator. It seemed right on so many levels...

Thanks Tim!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Miles Davis is my all-time favorite musician. I own 26 or so of his albums, and listen to them all the time. Kind of Blue was what really made jazz "click" for me, making me realize I wanted to play this music. It was actually my second time listening to the album; I had just joined a jazz CD club since my instructor told me I needed to listen to some more jazz, and this was one of the albums I got on the recommendation of the lead alto player.

Anyway, I got to school really early since I had to drop my mom off to pick up her car or something, so I sat in the school parking lot for 1/2 an hour in the dark and listened to two or three of the tracks from Kind of Blue. It was one of those moments that doesn't sound that interesting in retrospect, but it was a really special time for me that I still look back on fondly.

Sketches of Spain alternates between my second and third favorite Miles album with Bitches Brew. I just love the atmosphere, and have always liked the sound of Spanish music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts