Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what modes are used on this tune?

(I'm referring to the song called milestones that was the title track of the album with the Cannonball/Trane sextet)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,765 Posts
Is this the most common interpretation of the implied harmony for this song? With the key signature in F, I'm hearing Bb Lydian for "A" and B Phrygian for "B" according to the harmonic analysis at SongTrellis.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Is this the most common interpretation of the implied harmony for this song? With the key signature in F, I'm hearing Bb Lydian for "A" and B Phrygian for "B" according to the harmonic analysis at SongTrellis.
Bb Lydian= G Dorian. Same collection of pitches.

B Phrygian = A Dorian. Same pitches.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
There's something not right about the voicings in that link, not to mention the analysis. Maybe just that the bass part is missing. It's not Bb Lydian when the bass is playing in Gm.

Just go back to the original recording, and look at the way Miles & Ball & Trane played over it. Three superbly melodic solos.

A section is 6 bars G minor (dorian is implied in the harmonies), last two bars are F Major (Miles implies F lydian on it sometimes).
Bridge is A minor. The F in the tenor part implies aeolian mode but all three soloists treat it like any other A minor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,765 Posts
Thanks guys.

(slaps self on forehead)

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Off topic, but this tune makes a great ringtone!

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,677 Posts
Bb Lydian= G Dorian. Same collection of pitches.

B Phrygian = A Dorian. Same pitches.
DukeCity, you're making it too simple. I think some folks on here prefer to make it more complex! :)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
DukeCity, you're making it too simple. I think some folks on here prefer to make it more complex! :)
. . . or just play in Fmajor and when you hit the bridge play F#s and B naturals. :twisted:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts