Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 daughters and I have a sax trio(alto,tenor,baritone) and play a nursing homes,mother/daughter/banquets etc. We are playing a big venue that will have us using microphones and feedback monitors. We do not play mousey and have never used mikes. I feel it alters your sound plus everything in music today is just way too loud!!!! Anyone have any pionters on using mikes or what to listen for w/ feedback speakers. We have a very warm balanced sound and we listen to each other well. Oh and by the way,here is our line up to play:Adams family,Whispering( bari solo{mid-piece}-YEAH!!!),bugle call rag,pink panther,sesame street,muppet show,and will close w/ Stars and stripes forever!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Will there be a "sound man" tending the mixing board? Or will you have to get it set, then play...and hope the mix is good out front?

Are you going to have to provide the pa setup or is it there already?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,243 Posts
I would not use monitors for a sax trio, or a sax quartet, or for section playing in a big band. There is an internal balance that gets messed up, IMHO.

I would not close mic the saxes in this application. I would place two mics in front of the trio as if I was miking a chorus.

I think (depending on the size of the venue) that what you need is not amplification, but distribution of the sound.

Close mics and monitors would impede this.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Yup. Play acoustically whenever possible. Soundpersons (no offense, hak, i do it too) are often near deaf people who will do more to make you sound bad than they will to make you sound good.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info!!!!!!!There will be a sound guy and there PA system. The mics away from us sounds like a great idea. We are playing at a amusement park and they want to mike cause of the sound of the bumper cars and roller coaster near by.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and it is outside. We are under a little band shell and the audiences will sit on benchs that are at most a dozen rows deep.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hakukani, I toke your advice and talked to the sound guy. I told him to mike us w/ 2 mics at the corners of the stage choir style w/ no feedback monitor. He refuses. He insists on miking each sax and useing a feedback monitir turned down low. He feels w/ monitor turned down we will still be able to hear one another. I told my daughters to stand back a little bit-away from the mike. After the job sat;I'll let you know how it turned out!!!!!1Speakers are JBLs on either side of the stage w/EVs hanging from top of stage.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Man, I have to get my eyes checked. I thought this said Milking Saxes. :shock:

·
Registered
60 Posts
sycc said:
Hakukani, I toke your advice and talked to the sound guy. I told him to mike us w/ 2 mics at the corners of the stage choir style w/ no feedback monitor. He refuses. He insists on miking each sax and useing a feedback monitir turned down low. He feels w/ monitor turned down we will still be able to hear one another. I told my daughters to stand back a little bit-away from the mike. After the job sat;I'll let you know how it turned out!!!!!1Speakers are JBLs on either side of the stage w/EVs hanging from top of stage.
You might do better to ignore him and range yourselves around one of those mics - a little way off. That's how a very experienced sound person I know always mic'd a sax trio (out front of a big band). That way, you control the internal balance, not him (like you're used to) and he can pump it up as loud as he likes!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not a sound tech but do a bit of stage managing. The "house" sound is the responsiblility of the sound tech that is on-site, so if he wants to run you through the system, that would be his call. He/she probably knows what is needed. He should take your mic. placement suggestion into consideration but it's up to him to make the final decision on that. Specialy considering your apparent lack of experience with this.

The monitor mix - or lack of any at all - is actually the performers call and you would be right to be more insistant on asking for what you would be the most comfortable with. I would imagine that you already do a great job at blending and really dont need monitors.

Have to admit that you had me on the "feedback monitors." Made me think of a piece of rack mount gear.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for your advice!!!!!!!!!We do have a real warm sound and we practice good dynamics and listen to one another well!!!!!!!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Saxophones are louder than some people realize. When electric instruments are not competing with you volume wise a sound system may be more trouble than it's worth. If you are recording yourselves then a smaller relatively inexpensive tape, or digital, recording device can help for a later quality control review of your sound and balance. :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,243 Posts
The sound guy is obviously some rock guy they hired off the street. Just let him mic all of the saxes, and request no monitor. If he insists on a monitor send, wait for him to go to his sound console, and either unplug or face the the monitor away from your group, if you can.

It may be that there is a distributed system somewhere that you're not aware of.

It's very unprofessional for a sound person to insist on a monitor mix.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again Hakukani!!!Will let you know how we make out!!!!And thanks again everyone for your advice!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
hakukani said:
The sound guy is obviously some rock guy they hired off the street. Just let him mic all of the saxes, and request no monitor. If he insists on a monitor send, wait for him to go to his sound console, and either unplug or face the the monitor away from your group, if you can.

It may be that there is a distributed system somewhere that you're not aware of.

It's very unprofessional for a sound person to insist on a monitor mix.
He might be a good rock guy off the street but and might just do a fine job if you let him set things up the way that he knows how to work. Think positive.

Not that I haven't seen some Jazz acts toasted by some rock sound folks.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our job went fine!!!!!At our 130pm show we used the feedback monitor. The 330pm show was w/o. W/o was better.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only dissapiontment was crowd was fuller at beginning of show. less towards end but it was 87 outside w/ no shade at seats. We were under a tent stage!!!. Plus, I think people like the rock thing better. Oh well,We had fun!!!!!!!Crowd pleasers were Muppets,Sesame street and Pink Panther.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We were miked lightly. Blend was good!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hakukani,it went well!!!!!Saw your on wanted you to know it worked out!!!!Thanks to all for the advice!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts