Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to see Arturo Sandoval perform last night at the Blue Note (NYC) and he was joined by an absolutely smoking tenor sax player named Mike Tucker.
Apparently he's from the Boston area and teaches at Berkelee.

I had never heard of him before, and I was wondering whether anyone could recommend some good albums of his (as a leader or sideman) to check out.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I went to see Arturo Sandoval perform last night at the Blue Note (NYC) and he was joined by an absolutely smoking tenor sax player named Mike Tucker.
Apparently he's from the Boston area and teaches at Berkelee.

I had never heard of him before, and I was wondering whether anyone could recommend some good albums of his (as a leader or sideman) to check out.
Haven't checked his albums yet but there's a quite smokin live performance on youtube featuring him and Tucker Antell. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Check out his dualing tenors (with Tucker Antell) videos on youtube. I've seen Tucker a few times over the years and he is the real deal.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Mike Tucker is one of the baddest cats on the scene in the Boston area. Check out his latest recording with bassist Dave Zinno on Whaling City Jazz (Stories Told) and also on drummers Mark Walker's debut "You Get What You Give". Great Christmas presents for the Jazz Fan in your life.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike Tucker is one of the baddest cats on the scene in the Boston area. Check out his latest recording with bassist Dave Zinno on Whaling City Jazz (Stories Told) and also on drummers Mark Walker's debut "You Get What You Give". Great Christmas presents for the Jazz Fan in your life.
Thanks. I also found his Mike Tucker Organ Trio + 1 (Live) album from 2013, which is very good, on Amazon Music.

One thing that wasn't evident in this weekend's performance but is obvious both on the album and on the dualing tenors videos that people recommended above is that he loves to trade 4's or 8's and is phenomenal at call-and-response type improvisation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts