Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July, 10 2007 at Mike Hashim's Billy Strayhorn Orchestra
New York, New York

Mike Hashim's Billy Strayhorn Orchestra @ Midsummer Night Swing (Lincoln Center) 7;30

Tuesday the Billy Strayhorn Orchestra as part of Lincoln Center’s outdoor summer programming.

l got this info from my friend Tad Shull, who is playing in the Hashim orchestra. This should be something. Lauren Sevian on bari is playing
as well in the band.

If you want to hear one of the greatest and most unsung alto saxophonists in the world go hear Mike Hashim. This guy is inspiring and someone who has a voice in the past and present. One of my favs.

CHECK IT OUT.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
I caught Mike Hashim in the Raymond Scott Orchestrette a number of times and his old-style playing was AWESOME! Beautiful tone and great solos! Thanks for the tip on this Strayhorn thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Art_Salt said:
I caught Mike Hashim in the Raymond Scott Orchestrette a number of times and his old-style playing was AWESOME! Beautiful tone and great solos! Thanks for the tip on this Strayhorn thing.
FWIW ART- for clarity sake etc Hashim is one of the leading creative players.

" OLD STYLE" as you refered doesn't really fit his thing. Not a big deal- but I always found Hashim one of the more unique " stylists". I don't find what Frank Wess does as old either- Ya know. Its just GREAT music done_TODAY_by a master musician.

Hashim's roots do reflect to some amazing players from the past, but what comes out of his horn is far from a old timey conception. :)

You should hear Mike play Bari or tenor:) BEAUTIFUL.

Art ya oughta hear him play r&r !!! Or r&b!! You'd love it.

Mike has some things that are really beautiful. I'm glad he's doing this.
Much needed air time.

Also Art , not trying to correct you just get a better shelf life on Mikes thing on his horn. Ya know:) Roots but modern. He _SHOULD_be in the Mingus bands. I've tried to get him in the Butch Morris Orchestra things I do and someday I will!! ( The times I asked he was in transit via other work gigs )

Anyhow- report back if you go. There's a chance I might try to get to it as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts