Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who've played them (especially those who own them and play one as a main piece on alto) - what is it about them that separates them from the rest? I'm conducting my first real alto mouthpiece hunt now, after finally laying down the gauntlet (happily so!) of my tenor mouthpiece hunt. I'd appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
Meyer just seemed to hit on the perfect combination of chamber and facing for a sweet sounding, relatively easy to blow alto mouthpiece. As the quality of manufacture is no longer there with the modern offerings from Meyer, folks will go out of their way to find the old ones. However, those who have taken the time to try out modern alternatives, know there are plenty of other great choices out there; especially for those of us that prefer more open tipped mouthpieces than the standards of the past.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Meyer just seemed to hit on the perfect combination of chamber and facing for a sweet sounding, relatively easy to blow alto mouthpiece. As the quality of manufacture is no longer there with the modern offerings from Meyer, folks will go out of their way to find the old ones. However, those who have taken the time to try out modern alternatives, know there are plenty of other great choices out there; especially for those of us that prefer more open tipped mouthpieces than the standards of the past.
+1 If your looking at NY Meyers there are plenty of modern alternatives like:

Ted Klum AcoustiMax
Ted Klum Acoustimer
Phil-Tone Custom MeYer
Aizen Jazz Master
Aizen NY
Aaron Drake NY Jazz
Morgan Fry NYZ
Mouthpiece Cafe NYC
RPC R
Warburton D-series
Warburton Custom MeYer
Ed Pillinger NYA
Phil Barone NY
Theo Wanne Gaia
Theo Wanne Amma
Ralph Morgan Jazz M
Ralph Morgan Jazz ML
Lamberson M

and there are probably others that I forgot to mention but I'm pretty sure others will mention them

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
Start with the cheapest... or better yet, look for them second hand (but unaltered) when available in the Marketplace. I'd add the SR Tech Legend to the mix, as well as a Vandoren V16. I myself moved on from a vintage Meyer alto mouthpiece and tried numerous offerings from past to present until settling upon my current RPC rollover; which I've used for a few years now.

·
Registered
865 Posts
This is my personal take, so hope that I won't get shot (so bad) by the mp polices :bluewink:

I had a Meyer Bro NY at one time (hunted it, owned it, cherished it, and finally sold it...); and these were/are the pieces that I had/have which got pretty close to that "real" Meyer - in term of the sounds and play-abilities:

. PhilTone Meyer
. Aizen NY
. Theo Gaia HR
. and to my surprise, a HR Kessler Custom (custom-worked by a close friend)

Then again, if I have another chance to afford the "real" Meyer Bro/NY alto piece, I would definitely go for it !

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, I've been on a V16 8S but I don't feel like I'm able to comfortably flow between dynamics. It feels I can either play mf, f or ff, and the sound feels too strained coming out. I think it's just the wrong fit for how I intend to play. Cannonball, Antonio Hart and Kenny Garrett are my major sonic influences, probably in that order. Also, regarding the V16s (I've played four of them) I feel like the character of the sound changes too drastically across the dynamic spectrum. I just bought a Meyer 6 (newer one) but it's not what I want to settle on, I know that.

·
1,596 Posts
Man, I've been on a V16 8S but I don't feel like I'm able to comfortably flow between dynamics. It feels I can either play mf, f or ff, and the sound feels too strained coming out. I think it's just the wrong fit for how I intend to play. Cannonball, Antonio Hart and Kenny Garrett are my major sonic influences, probably in that order. Also, regarding the V16s (I've played four of them) I feel like the character of the sound changes too drastically across the dynamic spectrum. I just bought a Meyer 6 (newer one) but it's not what I want to settle on, I know that.
Man, I know what your going through. I never felt comfortable on my V16, the sound felt really brittle and I never enjoyed playing it. If your tight on cash, I would talk to Phil Engleman he makes a great mouthpiece for under $200 and out plays a ton of other pieces I have tried. But my personal favorite is the Ted Klum AcoustiMax, when I bought it I had to go down from a .085 to a .080 because it's the biggest one Ted makes, but it doesn't feel small, it takes all the air you can put in and doesn't close up on you. Did I mention the sound is great. :) but anyway have fun on the search.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,793 Posts
I would only buy a NY Meyer if I could try first and it was unbelievable. I played one a number of years ago that Bob Ackerman had. It played really nice but he wanted 450.00 for it. At the time I was playing a ted Klum piece on alto (those old ones with BN initialed on them) the Meyer was great but I wasn't willing to pay 450 for it because my Klum piece was pretty great sounding to. If I had know what they would go for now I would have bought it. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back 15 years and buy every NY Meyer, Guardala and florida link I could find. I would certainly do much better than the stock market has,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

As far as other pieces, there are tons out there now a days to try. They are all great and it is really up to the player as to which one is for you. The ones on my site are the ones I really liked. My top favorites are the Drake NY, Theo Wanne Gaia HR, Mouthpiece Cafe NYC and Ted Klum Acoustimax. I'm actually playing a modern Meyer right now that JVW refaced that I'm lovin also. A modern Meyer can sound killer if you have Brian Powell or Phil Engelman work on it. So many choices.......................

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here's my list:
SR legend
Rast meyer
NYC cafe
TK Soloist
Philtone
Philtone meyer
Aizen Ny
Ed Zentera Meyer
V16 6-7m
...what am I playing now...NY USA Meyer 5M and I love it!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I guess I lucked out. Been into the Metal Meyer 6 for about a month now and I think it's the best damn mouthpiece I've ever played.

·
1,596 Posts
I guess I lucked out. Been into the Metal Meyer 6 for about a month now and I think it's the best damn mouthpiece I've ever played.
I thought the metal MeYers aren't the same design though?....

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I thought the metal MeYers aren't the same design though?....
I don't really know man. I just tried a bunch of mouthpieces and really really like what I ended up with. The HR ones are fine, too.

·
1,596 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention the Marmaduke alto pieces. Made from a zinner blank. Nice MeYer sound to it.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
In a nutshell, the finish work, materials, and design. Nobody has replicated all three variables that make these so great.

One major variable which nobody mentions is vanity... Lots of guys want to use the same gear as their heroes and the NYUSA Meyer is pretty much what everybody played (4-6 tip). It's also a well known fact that the NYUSA pieces play way better than the Bros. pieces, but the Bros. pieces are really rare and thus worth more money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts