Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought this info would be helpful if you're considering purchasing one of these.

I bought one mostly because I wanted a stand I could fit in the bell. The soft case was a plus. Somehow I managed to leave it in the club the first night I used it. Thankfully, I was booked nearby the next night, so I was able to swing by and pick it up. There it was - right where I left it - with a leg broken off. WWBW immediately sent out another (as mentioned in another thread) and told me to just keep the broken one. The new one arrived and I use it, but I'm not going to recommend it. The legs are held in place by two hard plastic "nubs". Much like the old plastic containers / lids / hinges for things we grew up with that only last so long because the nubs invariably break off. I was getting ready to toss the broken one and decided to see if I could possibly remove the two remaining "good" legs in the event of a future stand failure. I tried, but with only a bit of effort, I ended up breaking off the other two legs. The stand supports a sax no problem. It is not strong enough however, for someone to step on the leg and remain intact so it's worthless as a doublers stand. Safe enough on an empty stage but not to be trusted with drunken band-mates dancing about.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,484 Posts
I don't trust any stand that will not hold up to having the horn mounted in-stand and being able to pick all of it up and hold it over my head. Hercules brand folding stands are the best. B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on these stands!
Sounds like we're down to either the Hercules TravLite or the K&M Saxxy for in-bell store-able sax stands then, eh?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on these stands!
Sounds like we're down to either the Hercules TravLite or the K&M Saxxy for in-bell store-able sax stands then, eh?
I have the K&M Saxxy. I used it exactly twice. It was scary. I feel more secure with the cheap tubular stands.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
I have the K&M Saxxy. I used it exactly twice. It was scary. I feel more secure with the cheap tubular stands.
How long have you had it? And do make sure it's put together correctly. I've seen posts that imply they can be put together incorrectly and not be stable. Others have reported that they are very stable in their experience. Me, I use a Hercules. It doesn't go in the bell but once unfold it, lock all joints in place, & you rock the slack out of it, it is very stable for a smallish tenor sax stand.

But I digress, this is thread is about the Fader's experience with the Midge. There are other threads that discuss the pros/cons of other stands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts