Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I'm new to bari having played 12 years on tenor, which is still my main axe.
On bari the high notes are no problem (from ppp to FFF) and the low register pops out like a charm. Great sound! The horn has no leaks and is well regulated. It just comes from a repair guy ho sold me this horn.

The only problem (after 10 days) I'm still having is not the middle D that in the beginning would shoot up but especially middle Eb.

Middle D and E work fine, but that Eb is never really stable. Not that it wants to go higher but it warbles a lot. As if it couldn't decide to play D or E?

I can even play altissimo F#, G and G#. It's just that one note giving me the creeps!

Help anyone? Maybe I'm still overblowing this horn, because middle Eb gives me trouble practising long notes but not as much as when I'm improvising going through the hole range of the horn.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
If the sax has an adjustable felt bumper on the low Eb keyguard, you might try opening the low Eb key to increase the venting by unscrewing the piece that holds the felt. If the bumper is not adjustable, you can remove the guard and trim the felt with a razor knife. Be careful to do this in small increments. If you go too far you will be back at the shop having a new felt installed. A very general rule of thumb that I use is that the low Eb key should open nearly the same as the low C key and that opening is at least the distance equal to 1/3 the diameter of the tonehole. Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John !

I had a look at it and at first glance I already saw that it didn't even open up like the E key. I can easily correct it by removing some cork.

I'll open it up untill it has the average distance like between the E and D key.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts