Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried the search function but couldn't find this. I'm sure it will be here so could somebody point me to the thread or tell me

What years did Conn start and finish putting microtuners on their altos?

Thanks for your help

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
I am not sure of the dates so I won't be saying anything definite or precise about that although I think that they were introduced in 1916 but I am not sure when they stopped exactly.

One thing to consider when using the information, that perhaps someone else will be providing, on production dates and microtuners is that Conn, for export horns, didn't always use or keep the use of the microtuner as long a time as they did in the States. This happened as well as providing necks without microtuner as an option along with the so called New York necks for the 6M and the 26M which had no microtuners too (the one for the 26M has to be one of the most beautiful necks ever realised for a saxophone!). Apparently horns which were meant for the British market (which could easily have found their way to Australia) weren't always provided with a microtuner so don't be discouraged from buying one if you see it without a microtuner because it could be perfectly kosher.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed response milandro. I think it more likely that horns from the US found their way here in greater numbers than from the mother country, but I'm only guessing. There were certainly a lot post WWII direct from the US. That's a different vintage from what we're talking about though.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
The end was around 1953-54. I have seen the 54 date but recently I had one from early 53 without the tuner. As mentioned above, there were necks without them but the majority of altos I have seen have the tuner. The 28M did not have them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bruce. That's a lot longer than I thought. I had a PM from a very knowledgeable guy and he knew they went beyond 1942, but wasn't sure how long beyond.

Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
I am not sure of the dates so I won't be saying anything definite or precise about that although I think that they were introduced in 1916 but I am not sure when they stopped exactly.

One thing to consider when using the information, that perhaps someone else will be providing, on production dates and microtuners is that Conn, for export horns, didn't always use or keep the use of the microtuner as long a time as they did in the States. This happened as well as providing necks without microtuner as an option along with the so called New York necks for the 6M and the 26M which had no microtuners too (the one for the 26M has to be one of the most beautiful necks ever realised for a saxophone!). Apparently horns which were meant for the British market (which could easily have found their way to Australia) weren't always provided with a microtuner so don't be discouraged from buying one if you see it without a microtuner because it could be perfectly kosher.
Yes: I have two 6Ms here, both from 1932, with topside octave mech and no tuning barrel. These will usually have a sharp step in the neckpipe, where it becomes narrower in outer diameter, about 2" from the end of the neck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts