Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a good ole' SM58 forever. It rides around in the back of the car for whenever I need a microphone for back-up vocals or saxophone. I'm curious what people are using in live situation for just saxophone. I have a wireless but want a stand microphone choice as well.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I've been using a good ole' SM58 forever. It rides around in the back of the car for whenever I need a microphone for back-up vocals or saxophone. I'm curious what people are using in live situation for just saxophone. I have a wireless but want a stand microphone choice as well.
Sennheiser e825

·
Registered
711 Posts
All good choices listed, my current fav is an audix I5 . I have used a sm58 also forever. I think a lot depends on the P A you are going thru and how it is e q 'd . If you don't have much control over the P A etc. , any mic can have its share of problems . I love clip on mics (such as Beta 98 etc) but if I don't get enough presence in a monitor or stand in front of the mains, you can't hear yourself anyway. I prefer a stand mic with a sound back monitor on it , I use it no matter what, never depend on monitors . Back to original question, any of the mics listed will do .

·
Registered
749 Posts
Blue Encore 200

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III & Naked Lady
29,838 Posts
any of the mics listed will do .
And there is a difference between live and recording. I pay a whole load extra fopr recording mics that have advantages such as super fidelity in regard to transients (lost totally in nearly all live situations) and noise floor (lost totally in nearly all live situations). There will be a mixer with EQ that provdied you soundman/lady is adequate will get over any room deficiencies and if not then those mics mentioned above will give you something towards that. In other words you don't want hi fidelity (which might faithfully reproduce all the bad things about the stage and room ambience) in a live mic so much as something that improves those issues by filtering out problem areas and adding what in layman's terms is basically "presence" - what the SM58 is good at.

·
Registered
711 Posts
And there is a difference between live and recording. I pay a whole load extra fopr recording mics that have advantages such as super fidelity in regard to transients (lost totally in nearly all live situations) and noise floor (lost totally in nearly all live situations). There will be a mixer with EQ that provdied you soundman/lady is adequate will get over any room deficiencies and if not then those mics mentioned above will give you something towards that. In other words you don't want hi fidelity (which might faithfully reproduce all the bad things about the stage and room ambience) in a live mic so much as something that improves those issues by filtering out problem areas and adding what in layman's terms is basically "presence" - what the SM58 is good at.

Agree Pete, live and studio are 2 different things and live definitely depends on a lot of factors P A , e q , room acoustics, room ambience, stage volume and mic bleed etc. For most gigs that I do, a Shure 58 or audix i5 will do just fine, I have been in studios and usually the studio engineer will determine the best mic to use there (totally different than what I use live) That is why the old standby 58 etc is good for live, and some high end mics , such as RE20 may not be as good for live (depending again on P A used and e q ) So in that regard, maybe I should refrain from saying that any of the mics listed will do and stick to for live , simple is sometimes better , sm58 is one of the best for Most live situations ( I do like the audix i5 also, it is in the same price area ) I keep about three mics with me for live .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,348 Posts
Heil PR40. The poor man's RE-20, although the price differential has narrowed quite a bit in the last year or two. I also think the Heil PR20 / 22 is a fine alternative to a Shure SM58 - probably more comparable to the Beta 58.

·
Registered
342 Posts
SM58

A friend who plays on the road in a rock band tells a story of a trade show in Vegas where different manufactures take turns declaring the glories of their respective mic. The story goes that the Sure rep takes stage with a 58 & cord. He (allegedly) takes the cord & slams the 58 on the stage several times, he then (supposedly) declares "The Sure 58, Mick Jagger couldn't kill it & neither will you"

·
Registered
749 Posts
SM58

A friend who plays on the road in a rock band tells a story of a trade show in Vegas where different manufactures take turns declaring the glories of their respective mic. The story goes that the Sure rep takes stage with a 58 & cord. He (allegedly) takes the cord & slams the 58 on the stage several times, he then (supposedly) declares "The Sure 58, Mick Jagger couldn't kill it & neither will you"
There are YouTube videos of them shooting one with guns and it working. Dropping them from various heights, even dropping one out of a helicopter.

·
Registered
749 Posts
With all the love for the EV RE20, I should maybe give my EV RE320 (cheaper made in China version of the RE20) a chance.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III & Naked Lady
29,838 Posts
With all the love for the EV RE20, I should maybe give my EV RE320 (cheaper made in China version of the RE20) a chance.
Can't do any harm, in spite of bad press re: Chinese saxophones and the white golves syndrome, there is a great track record of good electronics from China.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts