Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,748 Posts
Re: Earspasm Music - How to sound like Stan Getz

*** is that thing? And BTW, Getz just turned over in his grave. Congrats on learning that chart!

·
Registered
457 Posts

Some sort of clarinet for sure. Not bass...alto?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,048 Posts

*** is that thing? And BTW, Getz just turned over in his grave. Congrats on learning that chart!
It’s a Selmer bass, a high end model with black keys. You can also get Bb’s that look like that

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Sure it's not Benny Goodman? With all that fast fingering and the clarinet voice it reminded me of him. Nice work. Wish I could play like that. Never had the finger speed to put those long runs together.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

I've watched Michael Lowenstern's videos for years - both educational and very entertaining!

His main instrument is the bass clarinet. He's so well known and accomplished, he got Selmer to make him an all black bass clarinet - no chrome. He talks about it in one video.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lowenstern

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,948 Posts

I don’t get it. Nice clarinet playing.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts

He's a great player and the vid. is actually quite informing albeit a bit "techie" for my need/taste. I also question his taste in glasses but hey, whatever floats his boat. ;-)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I've watched Michael Lowenstern's videos for years - both educational and very entertaining!

His main instrument is the bass clarinet. He's so well known and accomplished, he got Selmer to make him an all black bass clarinet - no chrome. He talks about it in one video.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lowenstern
Thanks for the info. I've added Michael Lowenstern's name to the title of this thread.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Great video! The only important thing that Michael didn’t mention was the name of this tune; it’s ‘I want to be happy’. Excellent thread topic for sure as is any tune, and they vary, that Lowenstern examines and plays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts