Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is, to my mind, one of the greatest solos ever recorded. PERIOD -- and I mean it! But don't take my word for it: listen to the clip, and check out the transcription, here at my blog: Harder Bop...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You transcribed That??!!!!!. Holy Toledo, batman! Anyway, Mr. Brecker has been a long-time fav. of mine, and I agree this solo is great, but, methinks, so technically brilliant, that it is lacking a certain melodic sense that I, particularly, am missing. On first listening. I imagine if I listened several times, I'd "get" it. You think?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thanks again for another wonderful transcription. I just read the James Carter piece again: if you ever give up playing, you could make it as a writer!

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree this solo is great, but, methinks, so technically brilliant, that it is lacking a certain melodic sense that I, particularly, am missing. On first listening. I imagine if I listened several times, I'd "get" it. You think?
Yes, I do! For what it's worth, my clip on the blog starts on Brecker's solo. Unheard is his lush and lovely statement of the melody, performed as a rubato tenor-guitar duet -- maybe you need to hear that to get a softening counterweight for this intense solo. I don't know: it killed me on first listen, and I've heard this so many times since I don't have any way of imagining how it strikes anybody else!

if you ever give up playing, you could make it as a writer!
Sincerely: thank you, Andrew. I will note that if I could make as much money as a writer as I've made as a jazz saxophonist, I'd be ... homeless!

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,792 Posts
This is a great solo. I transcribed What is This Thing Called Love from that same album a few years ago. I remember years ago these were all done in a book. This was in the 80's I think. There were a bunch of Merge solos and some 3 Quartets solos in it. I haven't seen any of them since so I'm thinking the book is out of print now.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think I have a copy of that book that you mention (from Japan) -- I should probably scan it and put it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
This is a great solo. I transcribed What is This Thing Called Love from that same album a few years ago. I remember years ago these were all done in a book. This was in the 80's I think. There were a bunch of Merge solos and some 3 Quartets solos in it. I haven't seen any of them since so I'm thinking the book is out of print now.
I believe it was a book of transcriptions by Trent Kynaston. Just looked over on Aebersold's website and Amazon, and it appears to be out of print.

Great work, Kelly!

·
3,494 Posts
Great solo.

He does another great solo with Invitation on a Hal Galper album.

Coltrane's take on this tune is brilliant also. He begins relatively simple,
and just builds, and builds, and builds the intensity.
As I type this I can still hear his wonderful crying sound in my inner ear.

·
2,828 Posts
yes first ive heard of this one!...invitations a tough tune! you really have to know the melody well, because the changes are tough!..and its easy to get lost,there was a thread recently which made comment of michael breckers jazz playing etc!..and this proves just how good he was!..one of the greatest!

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This solo, along with stuff from Three Quartets and some other tracks, was indeed in a Trent Kynaston book a while back -- the same series included a Phil Woods collection that had great stuff from Musique Du Bois, Live at the Showboat, and even his Just The Way You Are solo...

I remember looking at Kynaston’s transcription years ago and comparing it to mine -- there were a number of differences in rhythms and notes and, confident in my own infallibility, I considered it suspect.

However, as I note on the blog, I first transcribed this by playing an LP at half speed, and as I prepped it in the last few days using modern software, I ... had a number of revisions to make in rhythms and notes! I’m gonna have to hunt down that Kynaston book and see if he was right all along...

One thing I added to the blog: I don’t know why more folks who dig Brecker don’t know about this recording -- in part it’s because it was on an independent label with limited distribution. This was on my “I Wish They’d Release That On CD” list for a LOOOONG time before the CD finally appeared.

And now that the CD is out of print, 2 Amazon Sellers have got it for just under $50, and one wants $90 for it! Thank goodness for MP3 downloads, where it runs 9 bucks...

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's the name of the book?
From the "Out of Print" publications section of Trent Kynaston's website:

Michael Brecker Improvised Saxophone Solos, transcribed and edited by Trent Kynaston. Columbia Pictures Pub., Inc.

·
3,494 Posts
What's the name of the book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My copy is in New Zealand. I am in Europe at the present, so I cannot tell you
the exact title. It is the one by Trent however.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Great job Kelly... not that I'll be able to play this one but.. maybe someday!!

I think another great CD to transcribe would be the Twin Tenors CD w/ Brecker and Mintzer... There is a whole lot of saxophone stuff on that recording (which is also out of print)

just a thought...

cheers for sharing all your hard work...

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think another great CD to transcribe would be the Twin Tenors CD w/ Brecker and Mintzer... There is a whole lot of saxophone stuff on that recording (which is also out of print)
Since I first heard the Lockjaw-Griffin stuff, I have a strict policy of picking up any CD featuring more than one tenor player having at it... So I gotta get this!

(And in the meantime, I'm working on something featuring Brecker and another tenor player who'll remain nameless till I get the thing up, but it KILLS!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts