Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I´m trying to get my electronic setup as good as possible, and once I heard someone said: "buy a preamp", in order to send a very good signal from the mic to the mixer when playing live. Do you think is a good idea? is it worthed? and if so, which one out of all the ones on the market do you recomend? I wouldn´t spend more than 300 dollars on that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
My first suggestion is to find out what type of mixing board your band uses. These mixing boards have their own built-in preamps, some of which are pretty good and others less so. If your band's mixing board has pretty good preamps, buying another one won't add much. If you post here the brand and model of mixing board your band uses, some of the people here who are smart about that type of equipment can offer their opinion on it.

My second thought is to ask what type of mic you use for your sax. I would think the quality of your mic, and its optimum placement in relation to your sax, will have a bigger impact on the quality of sound than will the quality of preamp you use.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Probably not worth it. Most live mixers have preamps that are more than sufficient for the task. Good pre's are also $1000+ but unless you're doing some fancy recording, you're not likely to hear a difference.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
I wouldn´t spend more than 300 dollars on that.
For live playing, you'd do much better to put that $300 toward a top quality dynamic mic (unless you already have one, something like a Senn 421 or RE-20). As harmonizer & Fader pointed out, the mixer will have a pre-amp built in. Don't waste your money, is my advice.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
agree. Most modern good mixers (Mackie, etc) have good dynamic range (clean with low distortion over one level setting) and low noise (low to no hiss when playing softly) invest in good dynamic mike as stated above. Sennheiser or EV are nice choices for sure and better than Shures but more expensive for sure. For high-end recording I use a rack of Trident pre-amps with Apogee digitizers which work great for most demanding classical and acoustic recording.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts