1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
the first is a vintage woodwind co. steel ebonite mouthpiece marked D7... these make great "blanks" to have refaced...
From all the Woodwind Co. mouthpieces I've owned and played, they were great mouthpieces that don't need altering; especially if you care to match them with vintage horns that may be finicky in this regard. They're really one of the best kept secrets within the realm of vintage mouthpieces. And though they don't go for a small fortune, it's a shame to encourage their destruction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The vintage WW Company piece I have been using on my MK VI tenor for the last few years was vastly improved by refacing and being opened. It went from a mediocre player to an excellent go to piece. The key is to locate a refacer whose tastes match your own, and who can properly optimize the specific piece. Every mouthpiece, especially vintage, is unique to itself, and clearly not all will benefit from adjustment, but in my experience, a top refacer can absolutely bring out a mouthpiece's best attributes. And no, no extra baffle insert was added!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts