Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just started playing recently. I have the option to buy a vintage Alto Meyer New York USA 5M Medium Chamber or a vintage Alto Meyer New York USA 5M Small Chamber. The small chamber is a bit lower in price. Both are in excellent condition and have not been refaced. (These are New York USA, not the New York)

I really enjoy Grover Washington Jr's style of play and am concerned the small chamber will be too bright. Has anyone had the opportunity to try both? Is there is huge difference between the two?

Is there any reason to stay away from the small chamber? I have read the smaller chambers back then are closer to modern mediums. Everything I read says the 5M Medium is the standard so I am a little concerned about purchasing a small chamber.

Which one would you purchase and why?

If anyone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. I'm play a Yanagisawa A992 (bronze) with a A9937 silver on the way. I have also already ordered a Meyer 7M Medium chamber, but would like to not only start off with a 5M, but also have it in my arsenal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have one of each, and my main piece has been the small chamber for a decade now. There's hardly any difference in them, and to start I wasn't sure if the small was mislabelled. Maybe there's a slightly wider sub-tone on the medium chamber but for me the small chamber feels better-it might have nothing to do the chamber.

They vary so much, and I'm sure the two you're looking at will be nothing like mine (both mine were worked on by Ed Pillinger after I'd had them a few years) but I get the feeling that in general, the small chamber pieces were never as bright as the Vandorens or other modern pieces.

I have a friend with 3 NYUSA pieces, and when we tried them alongside mine they all they all played in different ways, almost regardless of tip size, facing etc. I'd certainly recommend trying before you buy!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Interesting.

I find that Meyers all play about the same for me, whether alto tenor or baritone.

That aside, if your natural tone quality tends toward the bright, you probably want the medium chamber, and if it tends toward the dark and stuffy you might get better results with the small chamber.

Peronally I have a fairly bright sound and even the med. chamber comes out with a lot of upper partials. I have toyed with the idea of getting a large chamber Meyer and trying it. But I suspect that you'd basically end up with a Link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts