Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question...anyone know why they don't make these anymore? Babbitt makes a Link NY tenor piece, and the NY Meyers are even more sought after. They made the "limited" ones a few years ago, so why don't they just bring something like that out again?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Because it is Babbitt...they don't know how to make good business desicions much anymore...:(

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Martinman said:
Because it is Babbitt...they don't know how to make good business desicions much anymore...:(
Excellent point.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,813 Posts
MojoBari said:
You should give them credit for turning a profit year after year. Many would say that is the measure of good business. They do hold their prices down too.
I like the way you phrased that, Mojo. Fortunately there are a few holdouts like you who also include the criteria of providing a great product and great customer service.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,230 Posts
MojoBari said:
You should give them credit for turning a profit year after year. Many would say that is the measure of good business. They do hold their prices down too.
That's right but also they should think in the long term. I'm convinced that quality rules in the long term, even with very low prices.

The key point is the customers' satisfaction, probably they decided to sell cheap mouthpieces to people how don't care about quality. If this is the case, their mouthpieces are not targeted to people like us, their mouthpieces are for the student market and those mouthpieces should not be compared with pro mouthpieces. This situation generates what I stated at the begining, they are selling a lot of mouthpieces because many people still think they are as good as they were in the past, this situation will change in the way people realize that's not true. There's a lot of cheaper and better made student mouthpieces. I think in the future their business will go down.

·
Registered
495 Posts
why not try a gwind ny copy they are a good mpc at a very reasonable
price

·
Registered
216 Posts
What is the going rate of these mouthpieces nowadays? I've been out of the loop for the past 2 years (a rest from g.a.s.). I see one in the sale forum, and I'm completely surprised at the price. 2 years ago, everyone was saying these things were barely any better than stock and way overpriced next to the nice morgans and other handmade pieces. They weren't even making it to 100 bucks used. Now they're worth $$$??? What gives?

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,813 Posts
Dweekie said:
What is the going rate of these mouthpieces nowadays? I've been out of the loop for the past 2 years (a rest from g.a.s.). I see one in the sale forum, and I'm completely surprised at the price. 2 years ago, everyone was saying these things were barely any better than stock and way overpriced next to the nice morgans and other handmade pieces. They weren't even making it to 100 bucks used. Now they're worth $$$??? What gives?
Now they're scarce - who cares how they play :twisted: ?

·
Registered
216 Posts
At the time, I thought these would just be low priced collectibles after reading all the so-so reviews. What was the point when you could get a better JVW Meyer for 2/3 of the price? I completely misjudged that one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
they (NY Ltd's) never were all that cheap, $200 new at WW/BW, now they go on ebay for $300 to $500.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm sure there were good ones as with all the mouthpieces, but I do remember the price at wwbw to be around $18X, with a used one I passed on less than $100 at the time. I just recall the reviews that stated they were nowhere close to the vintage Meyers and the finish was still not up to par of the great refacers at the time. I was mainly surprised that these get vintage Meyer prices now after the mediocre reviews during its original release. I guess it's mute point now; a lot of the most sought after items went through the same.

Edit: I just did a search to check if I was getting old and senile. Nope. Mediocre opinions on SOTW. I think I really beat this to death. I guess I am getting senile..... Time to move on. Sorry :X

1 - 13 of 13 Posts