Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these and if so how do they sound?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,771 Posts
I had a teacher who used one (a 5) for pit orchestra gigs. He said that he liked it, but that no other tenor Meyer he's ever played has played anything like that one, and he's tried for years to find a backup. I think his is a fluke.

They don't seem to be really popular around here, though.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have a gold plated Meyer #8 Metal Tenor mpc. It's ok. Plays much better than those Metal Jazz models I've tried. But nothing special. Just an average small chamber medium baffle piece. Plays in tune with my Mk6. Lowest register not too difficult so the facing seems to be ok.
I don't remember why I happened to get it. I have these gadgets in a drawer and there they stay...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I don't know about the tenor ones, but the altos (the metal ones only!) are IMO, crap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought a gold plated 5M for my Martin tenor. I like it. I can play it from pp to ff with no problem, and it plays nice with the rest of the band.

My only criticism is the cap that comes with it doesn't really fit too well if there's a reed on the mouthpiece. Maybe they forgot to test for that situation???

I trialed an Otto Link at the same time and sent it back. It just seemed harder to play.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts