Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a Meyer Metal 6J Alto and it's an interesting piece.
It came with some other mouthpieces I bought and I wasn't buying the mouthpieces for the Meyer Metal so it's a bit of happenstance that I ended up with it.

Anyone else use one?

I can't find much info about the Meyer Metal pieces as apparently hardly anyone uses them or something like that.

The baffle is strange compared to a Dukoff baffle.

It has a small baffle near the tip and then the baffle just disappears and the chamber is square shaped.

Maybe a roll-over baffle?

It seems to be very similar to the Guy Hawkins metal pieces.

It's easy to set a note in motion, very free blowing and it sounds pretty smooth but can be pushed into sounding more edgy.

Funk and Jazz sort of playing is a breeze.

It's different to a Dukoff though, it seems a bit smoother and not as bright as a Dukoff.

Altissimo just takes off and is a breeze, at least with my Yamaha YAS-21 which is the only horn I've tried it with so far.

Using a LaVoz medium reed, I got up to the Altissimo G (G4) an octave above the first Altissimo G (G3) with not much effort using the palm D fingering and Altissimo G4 is a hard note for me to hit on Alto using other mouthpieces, G4 is easier on Tenor for me.
I also got higher than the Altissimo G4, sounded something near a Altissimo C5 which is right up there and I usually stop around Altissimo D4 or Eb4.

The only thing I can think of for the Altissimo being easy is that the Meyer Metal baffle and general design seems to combine with my Yamaha so that the Altissimo is very easy.

The Meyer Metal is a bit of a sleeper piece for the Dukoff like players if you ask me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 - 2 of 2 Posts