Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps
I've searched through the available threads here without satisfaction, so I would like to ask a little question.

But first a bit of background.
As a no-nothing novice in about 1985 (and no-one to ask) I bought a battered alto that came with an anonymous white mouthpiece and a reed. I struggled.
Eventually I realised the problem wasn't just me and went in search of a better mouthpiece, and a new reed.
At Howarths in London I bought a Meyer, which helped a lot. Little did I know the horn was almost unplayable.
Anyway, I pressed on and several horns and reeds followed.

I still play my Meyer and have the white box in front of me. It is stamped in red Chamber 'Large', Tip Opening '5', Facing Length 'Long'.

I've been hunting all over the net looking for Meyer mouthpieces, and they all seem to be medium.

My question is are they still available in 'Large/Small' chambers and 'Facing Length'?
If not, does this make my mouthpiece at all unusual?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Yes, large/small chambers and short/long facings are still made but are less common and often not stocked at stores. Compared to the common Meyer 5MM, your 5LL should sound darker due to its larger chamber. The long facing should make it respond better for low notes and worse (more difficult) for higher notes. But we're all different so the longer facing may work better for you personally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts