Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought an used HR Meyer tenor mouthpiece 8M , it's good for me and I had no problems during the past season ; now I played in external place under the sun and the mouthpiece shows a strong strange smell that decrease or disappear if the mouthpiece is moved for some time in shadow or fresh place ....
Anyone had or have this problem? Any suggestion to could use it avoiding smell problem in this hot season ?
Thanks, Walter.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Hello, I bought an used HR Meyer tenor mouthpiece 8M , it's good for me and I had no problems during the past season ; now I played in external place under the sun and the mouthpiece shows a strong strange smell that decrease or disappear if the mouthpiece is moved for some time in shadow or fresh place ....
Anyone had or have this problem? Any suggestion to could use it avoiding smell problem in this hot season ?
Thanks, Walter.
It's quite normal, sunlight will do that. You get the sulphur smell, bitter taste, greenish discolouration.

Don't wash it in hot water, that will make it worse. You can wash in very tepid water, apply some olive oil which seems to work well. Until the next time it's out in sunlight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete for the suggestion, I follow they.
The problem is not present on other plastic mouthpiece, it seems related to the HR material.
I hope that it is not toxic but only annoying ;o)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,858 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grazie Milandro ;o), I will use the EVO to attenuate the problem for my Meyer but I think that will be better use a metal mouthpiece in these situations , I have an 8link STM also , it is less simple and neutral of Meyer but with a nice personal tone .

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I recently purchased a used HR Selmer bass clarinet mouthpiece that reeked. I tried a mouthwash soak but that just combined to two stenches. I realized it was stored in a plastic tube with tight end caps. After a dozen ultra sonic washes and letting it air out with the caps off it is much better.

·
38,858 Posts
Cheers Rubberface :) non c’è di che!

In the past many reported that a treatments with various oils would be beneficial. My favorite oil when things smell is essential lemon oil ( the real thing not any chemical concoction) .

I read with interest ( and slight trepidation) the suggestion to use an ultrasound cleaner. I have one which I use for my metal mouthpieces. The ultrasonic treatment doesn’t do anything to improve the sound ( tongue in cheek with a reference to the cryogenic legends) but it surely warms up the water.
Now if there is one thing that it is guaranteed to bring up the bad smells should be warm water which interferes with the vulcanization process by bringing up the sulphur which ultimately causes the rubber to smell bad. Light and hot air do this too.
I will try it though, first time I have (and it has happened before one of those brown mouthpieces which every now and again one finds in an old case.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mojo, I have no possibility to use ultra sonic but could be a good suggestion for other guys that can use they and have the problem. I am going to use
oliv oil , it is more simple for me.

·
38,858 Posts
Olive oil can easily go rancid after some time. Small Ultrasonic cleaners are easy to find they are meant for spectacles (occhiali).

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Thanks Mojo, I have no possibility to use ultra sonic but could be a good suggestion for other guys that can use they and have the problem. I am going to use
oliv oil , it is more simple for me.
Before olive oil, some kind of light abrasive clean is good. I sue those 4-sided nail bluffing things you can probably buy from your local manicurist or Nails-R-Us. Start out at 4 and end at side one.

Works a treat:

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-mouthpiece-cleaning

·
38,858 Posts
I suppose good old fashioned tooth paste would do the same. NOT the gel stuff!

Old fashioned toothpaste has very fine abrasives. We divers use it nowadays to treat a new set of goggles which are coated and need being cleaned befoere use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothpaste

"Abrasives constitute at least 50% of a typical toothpaste. These insoluble particles are designed to help remove plaque from the teeth. The removal of plaque and calculus prevents the accumulation of tartar and is widely claimed to help minimize cavities and periodontal disease, although the clinical significance of this benefit is debated[4]. Representative abrasives include particles of aluminum hydroxide (Al(OH)3), calcium carbonate (CaCO3), various calcium hydrogen phosphates, various silicas and zeolites, and hydroxyapatite (Ca5(PO4)3OH)."

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Rubberface :) non c’è di che!

In the past many reported that a treatments with various oils would be beneficial. My favorite oil when things smell is essential lemon oil ( the real thing not any chemical concoction) .

I read with interest ( and slight trepidation) the suggestion to use an ultrasound cleaner. I have one which I use for my metal mouthpieces. The ultrasonic treatment doesn’t do anything to improve the sound ( tongue in cheek with a reference to the cryogenic legends) but it surely warms up the water.
Now if there is one thing that it is guaranteed to bring up the bad smells should be warm water which interferes with the vulcanization process by bringing up the sulphur which ultimately causes the rubber to smell bad. Light and hot air do this too.
I will try it though, first time I have (and it has happened before one of those brown mouthpieces which every now and again one finds in an old case.
Ciao Milandro, I see now the your answer ...the syncro seems not very good at the moment. Interesting the natural fragrant oil use instead of the standard oliv oil...THX

·
38,858 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts