Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It’s a super player I have to say. But probably not what it is. I’m lucky that I didn’t pay 1500$ or so… I still think 300 bucks could be a fair price for this.
Thanks for the video, I haven’t seen it before.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
fakes man are a minefield - Stephan Kammer's presentation is fabulous. Many refacers can make fakes decent if the base material is ok - but - its an additional cost. I wouldn't imagine too many saxophones were sold to Vietnam.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,702 Posts
Ive given my opinion to Jamrin directly but will post my observation here. The big issue for me is on the table. At least to me the texture on the table screams screams casting. While I could be wrong this orange peel effect would not likely be present...especially on a piece as "Well preserved" as the rest of this item. Tables are smooth or have sanding/milling marks. While Im not an expert on vintage pieces I can say I have seen many. I have also seen literally over a thousand Meyer pieces. I have never seen that texture on any hard rubber piece...old or new. I have seen that texture on modern resin casting.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
A little sanding test somewhere inconspicuous would tell you for sure. A lot of times you can tell just by looking at the end of the shank. Most of the time they have bubbles, lines, or just shaped wrong.

The OP's photo of the shank end is in shadow so it is hard to tell, but it looks like there may some weird marks right where the end of the shank is rounded over (I've seen this numerous times on these fakes). I bet if he posts a well-lit picture of the shank end it would reveal something. Often on Ebay, I have noticed these counterfeit sellers avoid a clear picture of this area by poor lighting, or it's out-of-focus.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I've seen dozens if not hundreds of originals and my instant gut reaction is fake. The gilding of the lettering especially just does not look right. Plus, how many 1950's Meyer's have made their way to Vietnam? Its an unlikely source for something like this particularly in an era where fakes run rife.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you believe what you see on EBay both Otto Link and the Meyer Bros seem to have spent considerable time in several far flung locations ….how else explain their leaving behind large quantities of vintage pieces in those locations that now turn up, decades later? I recall seeing 3-4 Meyer Bros from a seller in Eastern Europe for sale at the same time, all minty ….pieces can make their way anywhere but provenance is sometimes a clue. And then there’s the technical stuff already mentioned.
if you keep the piece I hope that it plays great, and if you decide to try to get your money back I hope you succeed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to return, let's see with who am i facing with. I'll keep you guys updated, Thanks everyone for the comments, opinions.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The future in which this kind of thing is harder and harder to detect is being created today by every person who knowingly buys or doesn't return/report counterfeit goods.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Do a light scuff, contact eBay and you will get your money back. There is a reason you were able to buy it for $300.00 and that it is pristine. Fake.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
There hasn't been any good deals on eFley for at least a decade. If it looks too good to be true that's because it is not true.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was wondering who buys the fake Meyers, Links and Soloists from those Ebay sellers that have many of them. I followed a few and they went for about 300. So, for the Meyers and Links, nothing like the prices they would go to if there were a lot of buyers interested. But still a lot of money. If only you could get to talk to the seller and ask them. But it looks shiny and pristine in the way the ones listed in Bulgaria do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts