Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in '98, I was on the road with the Ellington orchestra. On a day off in Billings Montana, I stepped into an antique store to look around. Hanging from the ceiling was an old 1920s era Martin alto with a NY Meyer bros 4 mouthpiece. I asked the clerk "how much for the mouthpiece?" I was told that the horn and mouthpiece would cost me $150 and that they had to be sold together. The clerk had no idea that a mouthpiece is an after-market product. I was only interested in the mouthpiece as the horn required a full overhaul and wasn't work schlepping it around on tour. The store refused to sell me just the mouthpiece so I bought the whole bit, horn and mouthpiece but no case. I paid the clerk the $150, removed the mouthpiece and put it in my coat pocket. I then left with the horn sitting in the store on the counter. The clerk shouted after me "Hey, what am I supposed to do with this sax?" I told him to hang it back up and try to sell it. The cat was really annoyed that I wouldn't take the horn. I told him I was only interested in the mouthpiece but that still didn't sink in.

When I got back to NYC, I traded the mouthpiece for an old Link tenor mouthpiece. This was pre-ebay, at least for me. Today that piece would really be worth something, but I got a good deal for the time.

You don't see that kind of thing anymore. The internet has ruined it for everyone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,126 Posts
My NY Meyer 4 once belonged to an old sax player in Sydney who gave it to a friend of mine. Years later I played it without even knowing what a NY Meyer was- my friend said he didn't like Meyers and would sell it to me for $75.
A week or so later another friend told me what I had actually bought...
I played it for a while, found it too small, then sold it for a 10x profit and got my Martin soprano overhauled instead.
I've never seen another one for $75.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.