Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently bought a Meyer 7.

I thought it was a modern version, but now I’m not sure. Can anyone help.

The seller had owned it for many years but used another piece instead of this. It looks hardly played.
Still shiny. Totally original and in great physical condition.

I looked around eBay and see that modern ones have the same writing on them as my one, in four different places.

MEYER on top of the body.
MADE IN USA on the shank
MEDIUM CHAMBER on the shank, underneath
Finally the writing in the diamond on the table. 7 MEYER LAPPED FACING M.

But these modern ones have all of that writing in gold. My one only has the gold writing on the table.

The other 3 places there is no gold. Not even a trace. The mouthpiece is in such good condition that I don’t think there has been any gold in those three places. ie it has not worn away.

And finally the part that interests me most.
The box it was in is much smaller than another Meyer box which I have, and which I bought new about 20 years ago.
This smaller box says MEYER BROS on it. And ALTO SAX.
The modern box I have just says MEYER and ALTO

The guy selling said that this was the original box.

So, I know it isn’t the very desirable MEYER BROS mouthpiece. But can anyone help date/identify this mouthpiece for me.

Ps it plays fantastic......and is not for sale !!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I’ve been looking around and think I’ve found the answer.

There is a very informative site here, which I hope can be useful to others.

https://www.nicolastrefeil.com/meyer-bros-museum

Here is a link to a picture of the page dealing with what I have.

So, I think I have an “Early Babbitt”, dating from the 70s or 80s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,702 Posts
Im gonna disagree and I have intended to disagree for years with this issue.

I know the folks at Babbitt well.

There is no such thing as an Early Babbitt Meyer. Its a sham to get folks to buy more non vintage pieces as vintage.
Those divisions get created when the market starts to dry up and people need to overcharge for something else.
Perhaps early in the years they were finished better but they are the same animal.

The molds are the same since the NY was changed to the modern version.

Ink wears off of mouthpieces easily depending on how its handled and cleaned...so you cant use that as any indication

As for the original Bros version...those were made for Meyer from European blanks...most from France, some from Germany.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I've posted about this several times; forgive me for being redundant. I bought several Meyers alto pieces over time, the earliest of my purchases was new from a store in Glendale, CA in the late '70's or early '80's. They (two of them) were marked "6S Medium Chamber." I also had one marked "6M Medium Chamber," and one I bought from WW&BW marked "7M Small Chamber." I ordered the one from WW&WW not realizing the available different varieties.

For ME, the "6S Medium Chamber" pieces were by far the best players. Whatever YOUR chops require may be entirely different, but be aware there are differences among Meyers mouthpieces, and not just how they are made and finished (the natural variances among products) but in the way in which they were designed (the tip openings, the chamber sizes, and the length-of-lay, AND all of the various combinations of these factors.

I can't speak to how and where they were stamped, painted, or boxed over the years, but when considering one to buy, there are a variety of factors at work when making a selection. DAVE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts