Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i play jazz, and i was wondering how a theo wanne hard rubber amma would compare to my meyer 6. i'm looking for a fat powerful tone, but something that is decently versatile. my meyer 6 does a pretty good job, so would an amma make much of a difference?

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you think your Meyer does a pretty good job, a Phil-Tone Meyer will surely make it do an even better job at a price lower than a new Theo Wanne.....!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I recently changed from a Meyer Richie Cole to an Amma 6. The Richie Cole is a 5 and is supposedly an exact copy of Richies New York Meyer and the Amma is supposedly an 'improved' version of a very good New York Meyer.

Perhaps not surprisingly I found the two pieces to be very similar, with the Amma just having a bit 'more' of everything (tone, colour, projection etc). I wouldn't describe the difference as night and day. One thing i would say is that the Amma is very reed friendly and free blowing.

I got the Amma for a very good price, lightly used. For that reason I'm very happy with it, but if I'd paid full price for one new I don't think the price would have justified the relatively small improvement over the Meyer.

For those reasons I suspect Dagvei's advice above is on the money.......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! Dave, were the differences in the mouthpiece due to the chamber size? was the amma's significantly larger? I got my Meyer about three years ago, so it's one of their newer makes, and it's a "small camber" mouthpiece.

·
Registered
385 Posts
thanks guys! Dave, were the differences in the mouthpiece due to the chamber size? was the amma's significantly larger? I got my Meyer about three years ago, so it's one of their newer makes, and it's a "small camber" mouthpiece.
Could be. The Meyer Richie Cole is a medium chamber I think. The Amma's chamber is noticably more scooped out than the Meyer and the window is larger too. The Amma also has beautiful thin rails and tip too, as you might expect from a piece at this price.

I'm not a mouthpiece expert by any means. Steve Neff could probably give you a far more qualified opinion than me. You can read and listen to his review of the Amma here:

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/08/theo-wanne-hr-amma-alto-saxophone-mouthpiece/

He also has a sound clip comparison between ten similar alto pieces:

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/10/poll-of-10-alto-saxophone-mouthpieces/

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yepp, Dave, here in Norway the Amma would be more than twice the price of the Phil-Tone Meyer..... I know the Amma is better, but not considerably, and I find the Phil-Tone Meyer one of the absolute top players for alto no matter price!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
The Phil-Tone Meyer is a very good mouthpiece for a good price, but if you're considering a Theo Wanne, I'd say that the Gaia is closer to a good Meyer than the Amma. I personally found the Amma a bit too bright and dry for that Meyer kind of sound.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will have to try them all, if I can. I would never buy a mouthpiece without trying it first, and I don't even know if my local music stores have theo wannes in stock. I play mostly traditional jazz, but I do sometimes sit in with funk and rock bands, so versatility is a must.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
I will have to try them all, if I can. I would never buy a mouthpiece without trying it first, and I don't even know if my local music stores have theo wannes in stock. I play mostly traditional jazz, but I do sometimes sit in with funk and rock bands, so versatility is a must.
most likely not, there are few stores who carry them around the world.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phil tone meyers or Theo wannes? I havent seen either, and I also live In a bad place for diverse gear...

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
If you also want to do funk and rock, the Amma is your best choice. But, for versatility, I prefer the Gaia.

·
Registered
543 Posts
An RPC 90R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A really option here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey guys! so my teacher is lending me a NY meyer, and i don't know much about them. could it be what i'm looking for?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
Check out the Drake NY Jazz, based on the the highly valued NY MeYers but of course Aaron is a great person, mouthpiece maker as well as a great player. and check out Bob Sheppard as well as Aaron's clip they both sound GREAT! did I mention that they cost a hell of a lot less than a NY MeYer.

https://www.drakeceramicinstruments.com/Signature_NY_Jazz_Alto.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts