Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with a Meyer 5m on my alto for some time now. A friend of mine called and told me he bought a dukoff d8 for my birthday.
I was hoping you could tell me what to expect from this new mpc, any tips?

I apologize if there's any grammar/spelling mistake.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
These two pieces are totally different --chalk & cheese comes to mind!--You will see for yourself. Medium industry standard h/r piece vs a metal screamer. Apart from the obvious differences going from 5M to 8D is going to be a bit of a quantum leap IMO.
Bopity

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,880 Posts
Yes, they are totally different mouthpieces. I would say the jump is too wide. Also, soundwise, they are like two totally different worlds. I would try the Dukoff first (but probably you won't like it, if you enjoy the sound of your Meyer) and if it didn't suit me, I would sell it or trade it for a nicer HR mouthpiece, like a MouthPiece Cafe New York is a size 6 or a Phil Barone vintage hr, also in a size 6. This way, you would get a slightly wider tip opening and a more professional mouthpiece without getting into a totally uncontrollable and maybe unpleasant situation.I had a Meyer and a Dukoof, and I much preferred the Meyer, the Dukoff sounded and felt harsh, hard and too bright.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figure you're probably right, anyways he already bought me the dukoff so I'll try to tame the beast. I also wanted to change my setup and get a brighter metal mpc. So, I guess I just need to wait a few weeks till the package arrives and try it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
Hey--they might be quite different, but that's not a reason you can't enjoy the new Dukoff. It's still a respected mouthpiece by many. Tinme to branch out and try new things!:)

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I bought a Dukoff D8 for my alto a couple of years ago, and though I was coming from a Meyer hard rubber mouthpiece with a large tip opening, the Dukoff D8 was so different I really did not have a clue how to get anything good to come out of it.

The D8 has a larger tip opening than the Meyer 5M.
The D8 has a large baffle while the Meyer 5M does not.

It can't hurt to try it. But I would expect it to feel *very* different.

·
Registered
848 Posts
When I was in high school (many moons ago) I played on a meyer 5m and bought a dukuff 7. Yes it was very hard to tame and WAY different than the meyer but after some time with it it was REALLY fun to play.

Go for it. You may just love it. Trying new mpcs is fun someties (but can be addicting too)

Good Luck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,405 Posts
I really like the Vandoren Optimum for hard rubber soprano. Your Alto Dukoff is metal, isn't it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts