Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What reeds strength do you recommend for the Meyer 5M?

I currently play #3 Reeds on a Yamaha 4C. The yamaha 4c is a good mouthpiece, but I want to upgrade my mouthpiece to a more open one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is a Meyer 5M really that much more open than a 4C?

I use a Vandoren ZZ 3 on mine, but I am growing sick of the tone I've been getting from that. I need to change my combination

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
JAVA 2.5 or 3, ZZ 3, Rico Orange Box 3, Traditional 2.5, Hemke 2.5.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
We're all different. Having said that, I would recommend no softer than a 3 reed in a "jazz cut" such as Java or ZZ. Rico Select Jazz 3M, LaVoz Med-MH. Etc.

The 4C is pretty close. Were you using Blue Box 3 reeds on it? Most other 3 strengths will be pretty soft for such a close tip.

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 4C opening is 0.063, the Meyer 5 is 0.071. Both are close mouthpieces (source: http://www.jodyjazz.com/facings.altosax.html). If you want a medium opening, you might go for the Meyer 6M instead.
Yes- I want a medium opening. My chops are developing well with the 4C, but switching to a medium open tip would be good.

What reeds are best recommended for the Meyer 6M?

I want a medium open tip, so I think the Meyer 6M Would be good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
reed preference is EXTREMELY personal! I play a Rico Select Jazz 4S and 4M with 0.077-0.082 tip openings, on a 0.070 or about so I would probably go to a 4H or something along the lines of a 2 by 4 Jazz Cut reed to get it to work.

edit: Basically what I'm getting across is what works for me probably won't work for you and vice versa

·
Registered
240 Posts
reed preference is EXTREMELY personal! I play a Rico Select Jazz 4S and 4M with 0.077-0.082 tip openings, on a 0.070 or about so I would probably go to a 4H or something along the lines of a 2-4 Jazz Cut reed to get it to work.
I think we are invading each other's personal space then. This is exactly what I use on more closed tips.

·
1,596 Posts
I think we are invading each other's personal space then. This is exactly what I use on more closed tips.
I don't quite understand what you are trying to say on this post? do you mean you use really heavy reeds on close tips too or......

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes- I want a medium opening. My chops are developing well with the 4C, but switching to a medium open tip would be good.

What reeds are best recommended for the Meyer 6M?

I want a medium open tip, so I think the Meyer 6M Would be good.
I haven't played a 6M, but on a 7M I use Vandoren blue 2.5 or Rico 3. You might start there.

When you are comfortable with that strength you have two options, depending on what kind of tone you want. If you want a flexible, buzzy sound, stay at that level. If you want a pure, clarinet-like sound, increase the reed strength gradually until you find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think the best approach is to experiment between a Vandoren 2 or 2.5 if the mpc is a Meyer 6M especially if reeds can be purchased by the pieces.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Just wanted to say there is no huge difference between the 5M and 6M Meyer. Yes, I know it is typically .005", but it is a difference of degree. Even the 5M will feel more open that the 4C. I suggest, if you can, to try both along with a Vandoren V16 5M and 6M.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't played a 6M, but on a 7M I use Vandoren blue 2.5 or Rico 3. You might start there.

When you are comfortable with that strength you have two options, depending on what kind of tone you want. If you want a flexible, buzzy sound, stay at that level. If you want a pure, clarinet-like sound, increase the reed strength gradually until you find what you are looking for.

I am looking for a Loud, fat Jazzy dark sound.

·
1,596 Posts
I am saying that I use the exact same Rico Jazz Select 4M on closed tips.
Oh okay, that's what I thought but I wasn't sure. And cool man, it's weird to find people that use really heavy reeds on this forum.

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
I used to use LaVoz med-hard when I was playing a Meyer 6M. Always gave me a nice fat sound, and reed quality was refreshingly consistent compared to the Ricos I had been using previously.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts