Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm looking for a new Alto mouthpiece and have narrowed it down to the Meyer 5M series. On wwbw.com, they list a Meyer 5 Large (Medium Facing) and a 5 Medium - as well as some others. I'm assuming the 5 Medium is medium chamber, medium facing. Does anyone have any real-world (meaning you've actually played on both of them) experience with the tone quality differences in these two mouthpieces? As with a lot of people, I'm in search of a Paul Desmond style tone. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,703 Posts
You wont find a Desmond style in a Meyer. Far too much buzz (not that buzz is a bad thing...its just not Desmond).

I make a piece that can get you in that ball park. I also do Meyers (which really wont fill that need).

www.Phil-tone.com

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the input, Phil. I definitely don't want buzz. I'd like to find something similar to the Gregory mpc he used - 4A18. I understand it's about a .67 tip opening with medium chamber and facing. The side-walls are rounded out instead of flat. I'm playing on a Yamaha 4C and with a hard reed (3-1/2) I start getting closer to that Desmond tone but not as dark and warm. I'm always amazed at how good that inexpensive Yamaha student mpc sounds. What do you suggest? I'm trying to keep it under $100.00. Is there anything off the shelf that would get me close?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Try the SOTW Marketplace - there's a V16 and some S80 C*s around $75-80 currently being offered

·
14,268 Posts
I think we all respond differently to mouthpieces, but I'll write about my experiences with Meyers on alto. I had a 6M-M (and I take that to be their #6 tip opening, whatever measurement that is), a medium-length lay, and a medium chamber. I did not like it all but too many years have passed to be specific.

I have a Meyer 6S-M, the S I think means short lay. This has been one of my favorites - I still have it although I don't play it any more. The differences were like night and day between the 6M-M and the 6S-M. I had a second 6S-M and it played just like the one I have now, which tells me they were pretty consistent.

I also have a 7M-Small Chamber. I write that these pieces have certain chamber sizes because that is what is stamped on the barrel. But when I hold them side-by-side, they look similar. The length of each lay looks the same, too. If anything the 7M-S has a larger opening to the neck than does the 6S-M. The 7M-S plays okay but I prefer the 6S-M. I guess what I'm saying is that you need to test a bunch of mouthpieces rather than depend on one brand and their designations for certain factors.

I once had a clarinet player turn to me when I was playing alto (with the Meyer 6S-M on a MKVI) and ask me if I was trying to sound like Johnny Hodges. I suppose, but it wasn't even close. I don't know what kind of mouthpiece Hodges used but I doubt that I'd get the same sound because I was playing a piece like Hodges played. I think you have to envision the sound you want and strive for it with what works best for you. You may also want to explore reed strengths and brands/cuts to help you reach that goal. A reed can make a heck of a difference on a mouthpiece. DAVE

·
12,703 Posts
Pretty much any you want. Generally from a .071 to a .086

If you are comfortable with a small tip I think they have a sweeter tone at .071-.078

After that they start to be a bit different...but still nice.

Keep in mind when choosing the tip that it does not have much baffle to speed the air flow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts