Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my mouthpiece from yamaha 4c to Meyer 5m. I use vandoren 2.5 reeds (blue box). When i tried the new mouthpiece, there's this buzzy, edgy effect to my tone. is that normal?

when i play on the neck alone i don't hear it but when i play the full horn its there. (sounds like im trying to make an aggressive tone when i want a smooth one)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't have an actual meyer but I have a meyer clone, the Daddario select jazz mouthpiece. There is a distinct buzz inherent in the mouthpiece, which can be reduced with certain reeds but is just part of the sound. I've heard rounded sidewalls like in the meyer introduce some buzz. I have another piece with straight sidewalls (my trusty Orion) and it has a noticeably smoother, rounder tone.

I would call that very normal, especially compared to a 4C which has an almost clarinet type of smoothness. Especially as you just got the mouthpiece, and probably don't have full control of the tone yet. I would give it time and do tone exercises. The vandoren blue box reeds are very dark, so I am pretty sure it's not the reed (unless that one is worn out, I find they get buzzier as I use them - have you tried with a fresh reed or two?).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have an actual meyer but I have a meyer clone, the Daddario select jazz mouthpiece. There is a distinct buzz inherent in the mouthpiece, which can be reduced with certain reeds but is just part of the sound. I've heard rounded sidewalls like in the meyer introduce some buzz. I have another piece with straight sidewalls (my trusty Orion) and it has a noticeably smoother, rounder tone.

I would call that very normal, especially compared to a 4C which has an almost clarinet type of smoothness. Especially as you just got the mouthpiece, and probably don't have full control of the tone yet. I would give it time and do tone exercises. The vandoren blue box reeds are very dark, so I am pretty sure it's not the reed (unless that one is worn out, I find they get buzzier as I use them - have you tried with a fresh reed or two?).
Thanks for this. I was starting to think it's a faulty mouthpiece. I'll work on my long tones this week and see if I get used to it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,211 Posts
Compared to a 4c the Meyer should have a lot more of everything. Play it for a couple weeks before making a decision. Do not play the 4c during the trial period. This will just confuse the issue.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I recently changed my mouthpiece from yamaha 4c to Meyer 5m. I use vandoren 2.5 reeds (blue box). When i tried the new mouthpiece, there's this buzzy, edgy effect to my tone. is that normal?

when i play on the neck alone i don't hear it but when i play the full horn its there. (sounds like im trying to make an aggressive tone when i want a smooth one)
I’d look into trying out different reeds more suited to the Meyer. It’s not that 2.5 blue box shouldn’t work but the tip is quite thin on them. Maybe look into D’Addario/Rico jazz select 3S or 3M or Vandoren Java 3: both types come unfiled and filed. You are also adjusting to the bigger chamber, as well as the slightly rolled baffle, of the Meyer.

·
Premium Member
Alto Saxophone: Selmer Super Action 80 Series II
6 Posts

For me, that "buzz" is what makes Meyer mouthpieces so desirable to play! I think it's not just normal, I think it's what one should strive for!!
But then again, that's just my take on the matter. I used to play with a stock meyer and a Vandoren number 2 red box reeds, to achieve this buzz into maximum effect.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
In my experience, Vandoren Blue Box reeds aren't good for jazz or pop playing. They are cut to suit classical style pieces which have a shorter facing. If you like the Vandoren sound try a Java, red box or green box (they are different cuts). Otherwise try a Rigotti or D'Addario Select Jazz or Boston Sax Shop reed. Strengths should be about similar among those last 3, they are maybe a little softer than Vandoren blue box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts